Slab Leak, Hot Water Shut Off

Users who are viewing this thread

WFox93

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I posted this in the Hot water Tank forum as well but I thought I'd post here too for a bit more attention. Maybe I'm just being paranoid here but I'd like some confirmation. Been reading articles for hours and can't seem to find my case replicated.

I currently have a slab leak in a hot water pipe and its bad enough to seep through the floor so I've got the hot water outlet (I have two shut off valves on my heater) turned off and heater set to pilot. Cold inlet is open.

problem is, its the dead of winter and my ground water is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd like to keep the water in the tank hot so I can open the valve as needed for showers but keep it closed most of the time until the plumber shows up tomorrow.

Does leaving the heater on, cold inlet open, hot outlet closed pose a risk of explosion? My thoughts on this is that it is no different than having all the faucets in the house off.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
No risk. If you are not drawing hot water, the water in the tank will stay at the set temp and the WH will fire up only when the tank temp goes below the set temp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks