Size of well seal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

petepdx

Reaction score
The diameter of the well seal on my well is approx 6.665" (6-11/16"). The OD of the pipe is just a hair smaller.

What "size" is it ?

Measured by taking the circumference of the seal since there is a pipe in the way :)

-pete

Reach4

Reaction score
Measure the circumstance of the casing. Divide by pi. subtract 0.5 to 0.6 inches. Round to 0.5 inches. I suspect your casing is 6 inch, and the seal is a 6-inch seal.

If your seal is not above ground, I would get your casing extended.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
6" steel casing is 6 5/8" outside diameter. Usually it is 1/4" wall. Some times schedule 40 is used. It's wall thickness is .280. In some states .188 wall pipe is legal, but not in the Pacific Northwest. 95% probability that you have 6 5/8" casing with .250 (1/4)" wall. That makes the inside diameter 6 1/8".

There is 6.00" outside diameter pipe made, but usually it is in thinner wall thicknesses. I don't know if NW Pipe & Casing even makes it in .250 wall. It's usually 10 or 12 gauge pipe. I have never seen a well in the Pacific NW constructed with 6" OD casing.

petepdx

Reaction score
Thanks just wanted to make sure.

The reason for the question is the current seal's electrical hole was 'sealed' with cement along with the vent hole. I am soon
going to need to shock the well and if I need to raise the whole mess up a few inches I figured I'd replace the seal.

Reach4 your advice is very sound, but I may be leaving that to who buys the property. Get a rough quote for a new pump, will things like extending the casing, using a pitless adapter to get the exit pipe down enough to stop it from freezing, etc and deduct it from the sale price. Will come down to the old $'s in vs $ out.

Boycedrilling - The well was drilled in 1966, the casing is steel, So pipe with an ID of 6-1/8" is a trade size of 6"

I am going to contact a few well shops and get a quote, but what Reach4 is suggesting is out of the picture for a year.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, it's a nominal 6" so a 6" well seal will fit and properly seal against the pipe.

When you break the seal loose, do not remove the bolts or the lower plates of the well seal could drop in the well and trap the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks