Sink drain connection too high...

Users who are viewing this thread

RobbyDog

Reaction score
From what I’ve been reading here, I made a common mistake. I’ve been Remodelling a 70s home—took it back to the studs. Left drains as they were, not realizing that today’s under mount/deep sinks necessitate lower drain connections into the wall. Went to plumb the kitchen sink drain and found I’m out of room to make everything fit properly. The drain connection is about 20” from floor. Of course I went with an undermount, 9” deep sink, AND it has deep basket strainers. At least the drain IS lower than the bottom of the basket strainers, so I think it will work. I know the trap arm needs to slope down towards the drain, which won’t happen here unless I change something. Have read about deep seal traps, but don’t believe they meet code.
I really don’t want to tear into the back of the cabinet and rip apart my spray-foamed walls in order to lower the drain. Is there any code compliant way I can resolve this? What would you do? It is a double sink and will have a DW drain too. I’m in Ontario, Canada.

thanks
Ian

ps...seems Americans use PVC for DWV. Here in Ontario all we use is ABS

sink-drain-high-01.jpg

sink-drain-high-02.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You have two bowls? The baskets seem to be extra-deep. They have shallow baskets.

I don't know what the cylinder under the left basket is. What is that?

A wider photo would probably be better. Also, I hope you can cut off that glued trap and put in a trap adapter so that you can use slip-joint drain stuff.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can also use a female adapter and thread right to the basket threads.
Shorter baskets would help too.

sink-drain-20.jpg

double-sink-drain-dw-inlet.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks