Single handle shower

Users who are viewing this thread

fixitup

Reaction score
have a family member with single handle shower, as you turn it-- cold and cool water come out spout, but shower will not come on til it becomes warm--is this a water pressure problem?, or normal for single handle shower, --its a new shower----I'm interested in this because I'm going to replace mine with a single handle shower( I was told yesterday that it is the code now)also I may be able to help my family member-----could it be a brand problem???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the pressure balanced valves don't have volume controls in the traditional sense. As you turn them on, you get nearly full volume. It starts cold and as you turn it further, it gets warmer. It has no association with pressure as to when it will go to the showerhead verses the tub spout (if that's what you're talking about).

An alternative to pressure balanced valves is a thermostatically controlled one. This will have two knobs or levers; one for volume, and a second to set the temperature.

Both types normally have a max temperature limit stop. Depending on the brand, it might be set at max when you buy it, or it might be set quite cool. WIth a pressure balanced valve, if you set the max temp during the summer, you might need to change it in the winter when cold is more extreme. That isn't an issue with a thermostatically controlled valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks