Shutoff Valve Won't Open

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick Anderson

Reaction score
I have a shutoff valve under my bathroom sink that looks like the ones shown below:
index.php

The issue is that works too well - the tab is meant to be pulled out to shut off the valve, and it stays pulled out. I can push it in, but then it automatically pops back out. I have tightened the screw in the middle, and thus ends my knowledge of plumbing.

Can this be repaired, or am I looking at an entirely new valve contraption?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those are probably one of the least expensive, most problematic valve/hose assemblies you can have (i.e., cheap). Personally, I'd replace it. On that, the hose is part of the valve, so you'd need new hoses as well as a new, better valve.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate those, but I've never replaced one because it didn't work. Might want to check the house pressure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those are really crappy valves as other have indicated. Replacing them is not difficult nor expensive. You would want 1/4 turn valves that would screw on your existing supply pipes. From replace the tubing from the valve to the faucets with steel braided hoses. Yes, you could get by for awhile, but usually the "awhile" comes when you the least have time to get the supplies and do the job. Like 11:00 on a holiday weekend.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Others have reported that as those age, they can catastrophically crack, and can create a major flooding event. They get used because they are cheap and quick to install, not because they are high quality. The ones I've seen, just push on the end of the cut pipe...no tools required, so you can see why they might be used when every second is money.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above, the sooner you replace them, the sooner you will have a good night sleep.

Rick Anderson

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your expertise and help with this. This site was a great find for a newbie like me. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks