Shower Vent entering Tee from side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate E

Reaction score
New to plumbing. I had to make a modification to an existing vent for a shower drain. Originally the vent came out the top of a sanitary tee, but this was protruding into the new shower footprint. I’m proposing to have the vent connect to the vertical drain via one side of a double tee. The other side would be going to the p-trap. I haven’t been able to find any diagrams or pictures showing this configuration. Is this kosher?

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpeg
    IMG_0476.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 59

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure which code you are in Denver, but most codes have the vent vertical to a point 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture being served before offsetting horizontally. So you need to route your drain to a point to achieve that. In the configuration you have, your waste water can fill your vent.

Nate E

Reaction score
If I may ask another question.

I have a 1.5” dry vent serving both the shower and bath. The bath, sets the flood level for where the shower branch vent can tie in (+6in). No problem there. But the shower vent needs to cover a horizontal distance of a few feet to get into the wall cavity. A horizontal section in the shower vent would be much cleaner. Regarding horizontal sections in dry vents, does the “fixture being served” mean the shower in this case? In other words, can the vent travel horizontally above the shower flood level (+6”) but below the tub? See mock up photos.

Logically it seems like the his would be no problem. There’s no way for waste water to get into the horizontal section. I’m hoping that the code agrees.
IMG_0570.jpeg

There will be a shower bench here, otherwise I’d just rise up higher before going horizontal.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your vent mockup above the floor is fine. The horizontal vent shown serves only the shower, so it only needs to be 6" above the shower flood rim.

Also, just a quick double check--the fitting just above the "v" in "Shower flood level" should be a san-tee. For some reason it looks a bit odd to me, but it's probably just the camera angle.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
highe enough on the vent wouldnt be better but my opinion a 2 inch drain would be , code may be ok or not on the 1 1/2" drainline and trap on a shower

Nate E

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. This makes my life easier.

Wayne, the fitting in question is in fact a san-tee. One of these…

IMG_0579.jpeg

Jeff, everything for the shower is 2 inch, except the vent, which is 1.5 off the san-tee.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wayne, the fitting in question is in fact a san-tee. One of these…
Thanks for clarifying. Somehow both Jeff and I were fooled by the picture--the perspective makes the pipe in the joist bay and the pipe above the floor look almost the same.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks