Shower tailpiece too short - no caulk shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Bviper

Reaction score
Installing an acrylic shower pan with a Kohler K9132 "no caulk" drain. Unfortunately, it looks like my measurement was off and the gasket, which should be flush, rises above the waste pipe by about 3/8ths inch. Wondering if this is an absolute must redo, or will it likely be fine? The gasket is definitely compressed for the 7/8" that is fully around the pipe and it's definitely sitting in the bottom of the drain assembly. A 48 hour flood test did not show any signs of leaking. I can also visually view the bottom of the p trap to see no leaks, but cannot access it without pulling up the pan. Thanks for any assistance.

bviper--01.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks like it will seal.
You may also be able to pull the PVC pipe up a bit higher using a cat claw inside to grip and pull upward on it.

cat-claw-tool.jpg

Bviper

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Since it's not compressed to the top, it looks like there might be a tiny bit of water that sits along the edge in between the rubber and the metal.

I was thinking to run a bead of Silicone around this so there won't be stagnant water in this small crevice. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

upload_2021-7-23_11-4-28.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks