Shower P-trap less than a foot away from from Tail Piece?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brianosaur

Reaction score
Can I have a P-trap that isn't directly vertical under a tailpiece for a 2" shower drain?
It would need to be about 8"-12" inches away.

I know with dual sinks, one tailpiece can elbow to a horizontal before going to second sink's tailpiece prior to them both dropping into the P-trap, or they both go horizontal before joining to a common tailpiece above the trap. My situation would roughly have the same length horizontal.

I need to bore through a joist (old house w/ 2x8's) and want to keep the hole in the dead center, vertically.
I already scabbed 5' of 3/4 ply onto the joist to reinforce it

If I can move the trap, I am able to drop it into a kitchen soffit below, hide it, and allow the trap arm to center into the joist. If not, the trap would be just shy of the soffit and end up coming through the ceiling below.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that anything above the p-trap can accumulate crud and smell. THus, the preference to minimize that run and to keep it vertical which tends to get scoured easier when things drain. Don't know for sure, but I don't think it's a code issue as you explained.

Brianosaur

Reaction score
Okay thanks.
Been searching and I *may* have found my own answer but plz confirm.

IPC 2015
Section 1002 Trap Requirements
1002.1 Fixture Traps

Each plumbing fixture shall be separately trapped by a liquid-seal trap, except as otherwise permitted by this code. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm), and the horizontal distance shall not exceed 30 inches (610 mm) measured from the centerline of the fixture outlet to the centerline of the inlet of the trap. The height of a clothes washer standpipe above a trap shall conform to Section 802.3.3. A fixture shall not be double trapped.

Brianosaur

Reaction score
So, if the max length of a 2" pipe trap arm is 5 ft (at .25"/ft slope) to the sani at the vertical drain, can one use the 1002.1 code to add another 30" onto the total fixture arm length?

Would I correct in saying the extra 30" is above the trap, so it shouldn't cause a siphon?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks