Shower drain not flush with pan. Possibly installed wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

keb21

Reaction score
This drain has bothered me since we purchased our house (2020), but it’s never caused problems or been enough of a nuisance to check it out.
Our shower drain does not sit flush with the lowest point in the pan so we get some pooling water around the edges. It looks to be about 3/16" higher than flush (pictures attached).
While cleaning the shower pan, the silicone that was put around the edge of the flange came clear off so I decided it was time to investigate. Whenever the drain was installed, they used a black rubber gasket underneath the flange on top of the pan, where I believe it’s typically putty or silicone. I believe it might be an Oatey no-caulk drain.

Ideally, I’d like to get the flange to sit lower to stop the pooling, but I don’t necessarily want to call in help since it’s not causing any leaks. Is it possible to remove only the top components of the drain and reinstall it with putty, being sure to tighten it down all the way? Or am I over-simplifying? I don’t want to get into replacing all of the plumbing underneath if it can be avoided.

Other details: This shower is on the second floor of an early 1900s home with a hodge podge of new and old plumbing. There is ceiling access below the shower pan.

I appreciate any advice or insight!

shower drain 1.jpg
shower drain 2.jpg
shower drain 3.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The black rubber gasket is supposed to be installed under the pan. The area that it occupies is supposed to be filled with putty or silicone.

keb21

Reaction score
The black rubber gasket is supposed to be installed under the pan. The area that it occupies is supposed to be filled with putty or silicone.
Thank you for your reply! That’s what I thought. Glancing under the pan, there seems to be another black gasket there but I need to get in there better to look. If that’s the case, can I remove and reinstall the drain from the top only? Or does the whole assembly need to be taken apart, re-assembled, and re-glued to the pipes underneath?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with that drain, but it looks like it could unscrew from the top. I think the underside is glued to the pipe.

I think I installed that type of drain once back in the early 90s for a very specific application. We (my company) only install brass bodied drains now.

keb21

Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with that drain, but it looks like it could unscrew from the top. I think the underside is glued to the pipe.

I think I installed that type of drain once back in the early 90s for a very specific application. We (my company) only install brass bodied drains now.
Thank you for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks