Shower drain flange Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

BRAD EYRE

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've got a challenge I need help on. Trying to remove/replace the tub flange on a one-piece upstairs shower tub. Badly corroded in a PVC drain flange. I started with a common "fork" drain key; broke the strainer bars out. Next I used the knurled fixed conical extractor; broke the flange off the fitting, leaving the threaded cylinder half in the PVC threaded drain flange. Please see pic. Seems as if I have one more chance to extract top-side before this gets a little more involved. I've seem some expanding conical extractors. Might this work? Which one is best? Is there another tool/technique that might work better? I would like to avoid major ceiling/drain pipe surgery from below. Thoughts?
Thank you in advance!

/r
Brad

IMG_0318.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might try this Brad,

tubdrain-redwood.jpg

Hacksaw and chisel.

Do you have access from below on that?
Sometimes I wind up sawing the drain from the inside in two places which lets me collapse it inward. That's when the shower or tub drain is being entirely replaced

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd try to use a hacksaw and cut PART way through the fitting from the inside to make it weaker, then take a chisel and try to push the wall in towards the middle. If you get an edge out, you could then try to use the chisel to try to unscrew the fitting if it doesn't all break away once you can collapse part of it.

BRAD EYRE

Reaction score
Gents,
Thank you for your inspiration and advice! Dremel and saber jigsaw allowed me to cut out a section to grab and twist out topside (see pic). That saved me major surgery from beneath! Best wishes and thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 286

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gents,
Thank you for your inspiration and advice! Dremel and saber jigsaw allowed me to cut out a section to grab and twist out topside (see pic). That saved me major surgery from beneath! Best wishes and thank you!

Awesome. I think hj originally came up with that tip some time ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks