Can you replace a cable-drive rotary-turn drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

morningside

Reaction score
Howdy,

Our house has an old tub with a cable-drive rotary-turn drain similar to the Kohler model pictured below (but at least 20-30 years old). The overflow plate functions as a knob, which you twist to open and close the drain stopper. This old rotary-turn drain is partly corroded and no longer works well, and I would like to replace it with a simple Moen push-n-lock drain like this.

Is it possible to replace the old rotary mechanism without also removing and replacing the PVC pipe connecting the overflow to the drain? It would be enormously difficult (and/or expensive, if we hire a plumber) to lift out the entire tub for the sole purpose of replacing the PVC pipe. But I can't figure out if the PVC piping that came with the original rotary-turn drain can accommodate another, simpler drain system, like the push-n-lock.

One apparent problem is that the drain itself does not appear to screw into the tub, but instead appears to be affixed directly to the PVC pipe. When I "unscrewed" the drain ring, I didn't see any threading; it just seemed to have been wedged into place. By contrast, push-n-lock and other drains appear to have either a 1-1/2" (coarse thread) or 1-3/8" (fine thread) screw-in system, which seems to be designed to screw into the tub itself.

If you can't replace one of these cable-drive rotary-turn drains without lifting up the tub and replacing the pipes, that seems like a big disadvantage! It turns a relatively simple DIY project (installing a new drain mechanism and overflow plate) into a major endeavor.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Kohler Clearflo.jpg

morningside

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the old rotary mechanism without also removing and replacing the PVC pipe connecting the overflow to the drain? It would be enormously difficult (and/or expensive, if we hire a plumber) to lift out the entire tub for the sole purpose of replacing the PVC pipe.
One piece of good news (for me):

I just figured out that it should be possible to access and replace the PVC piping without lifting up the tub, which means that this should be doable even if I do need to install new overflow-drain piping.

After I removed the metal drain ring from the tub, I was able to push the PVC piping around a bit through the drain hole, and I was surprised to see a bright light! It turns out that the tub is located right above our basement, and the PVC piping is visible and accessible from there. So in theory, I should be able to remove and replace the PVC overflow-drain piping without lifting the tub. I'm not exactly sure yet how to go about doing that, but it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks