Sewer smell from condensate line

Users who are viewing this thread

farmerisland

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thank you in advance for any help or steering guidance you might provide on my issue. I've been noticing on and off again sewer smell from our HVAC ducts and traced it to the closet where the setup is housed in a finished basement. I've attached a couple photos here that show the closet adjacent to a bathroom. I kept thinking the floor drain I'm the closet was just dry so I would pour water occasionally and that seemed to fix it each time, temporarily.

I did buy a cheap handheld sniffer and discovered the beeping went wild over by the condensate drain line (looks to be CPVC). I never noticed what you can see in the photos prior to now, but then again, it's really tight back in there and I had to stretch out my phone to finally use the camera as my eyes.

As shown, the plumber who did this apparently violated a few rules. I don't see any sort of a trap on this drain line and then he also just directly ported it into the pvc drain line coming from the adjacent bathroom wall!

Of course I need to redo it sufficiently, but at the very moment I'm curious if the bad sewer smell could be simply from the lack of a proper condensate p trap, or is that port in the pvc sink drain likely leaking? I think I mostly just wanted to see the professional take on just how bad of a job this was...

Attachments

• Snapchat-1079087917.jpg
    Snapchat-1079087917.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Snapchat-528790336.jpg
    Snapchat-528790336.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 109

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes this is terrible. Whomever did this didn't understand what they were doing.

sajesak

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thank you in advance for any help or steering guidance you might provide on my issue. I've been noticing on and off again sewer smell from our HVAC ducts and traced it to the closet where the setup is housed in a finished basement. I've attached a couple photos here that show the closet adjacent to a bathroom. I kept thinking the floor drain I'm the closet was just dry so I would pour water occasionally and that seemed to fix it each time, temporarily.

I did buy a cheap handheld sniffer and discovered the beeping went wild over by the condensate drain line (looks to be CPVC). I never noticed what you can see in the photos prior to now, but then again, it's really tight back in there and I had to stretch out my phone to finally use the camera as my eyes.

As shown, the plumber who did this apparently violated a few rules. I don't see any sort of a trap on this drain line and then he also just directly ported it into the pvc drain line coming from the adjacent bathroom wall!

Of course I need to redo it sufficiently, but at the very moment I'm curious if the bad sewer smell could be simply from the lack of a proper condensate p trap, or is that port in the pvc sink drain likely leaking go out for Steve's Plumbing & A/C Service. I think I mostly just wanted to see the professional take on just how bad of a job this was...
Yes, the bad sewer smell could be primarily due to the lack of a proper condensate P-trap in the HVAC drain line. Additionally, the direct connection of the condensate drain line into the PVC sink drain line from the adjacent bathroom could also be contributing to the issue. It's essential to address these deficiencies to eliminate the odor and ensure the proper functioning of the HVAC system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks