Musty smell from shower overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

Cathaus

Reaction score
Just about 2 months ago, we renovated our kitchen below our bathroom. We used to opportunity to replace the old galvanized drain pipes and old barrel p trap for our bathtub with pvc. This was done by the plumber sub my contractor uses. Everything went pretty smoothly except for starting a few weeks after I now notice a smell from our shower overflow. The overflow and drain are pvc replaced 12 years ago. I attached some pictures of the pipe layout. We have one big old main vent line. The tub connects to the sink which now connects to the toilet. I’ve cleaned the drains with bleach and it helps but only temporarily. I’m not sure if it’s sewer gas but when I get up on the overflow , it’s got a musty earthy smell. I called my plumber and they didn’t smell anything they said and recommended cleaning my drain. It’s all new drain lines i don’t get it. I’m concerned my p trap is being siphoned. I don’t even know how we’d correct that. Sorry this is a bit of a ramble but any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5856.jpeg
    IMG_5856.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 45

Cathaus

Reaction score
When looking at the first picture the left is the tub drain and the right side is the sink, they meet together and go to the toilet/main line

Reach4

Reaction score
Your photo of the area under the tub (img_5856), shot from above, is not so useful. I can't tell if there is a trap there or not. It looks like there is a trap under the big white frog-looking glare, but I cannot be sure.

Also, how do the two photos relate to each other?

Cathaus

Reaction score
Your photo of the area under the tub (img_5856), shot from above, is not so useful. I can't tell if there is a trap there or not. It looks like there is a trap under the big white frog-looking glare, but I cannot be sure.

Also, how do the two photos relate to each other?
photo 5856 is the two drains shower( left side of photo) and sink (right side) converging and going into the toilet drain which is in the middle with the waste pipe and vent stack behind.
There is a trap for sure under the tub. The blurry picture is of the trap from behind the tub area. I unfortunately didn’t take a ton of photos during that time because I didn’t expect anything to come of it.
I will see if I can find another of the trap.

Cathaus

Reaction score
photo 5856 is the two drains shower( left side of photo) and sink (right side) converging and going into the toilet drain which is in the middle with the waste pipe and vent stack behind.
There is a trap for sure under the tub. The blurry picture is of the trap from behind the tub area. I unfortunately didn’t take a ton of photos during that time because I didn’t expect anything to come of it.
I will see if I can find another of the trap.

Attachments

• IMG_6866.jpeg
    IMG_6866.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 36

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure there is a proper vent for your trap's trap arm. That can cause siphoning. The maximum trap arm distance for a 1.5 inch pipe under IPC is 6 ft. https://codes.iccsafe.org/s/IPC2018/chapter-9-vents/IPC2018-Ch09-Sec909.1

And that presumes the pipe is properly sloped. The trap arm length is the length of pipe+fittings from the output of the trap U to the wye.

In your new 6866 photo, I presume that the far pipe coming in from the right is the lavatory waste. That would be the source of the wet venting. I think that should be 2 inch pipe.

In the lower left of your photo, where you join the PVC to cast iron, that looks odd.

Do you have septic or sewer.

As a temporary workaround, after a shower, wait a minute, and dribble maybe 2 cups of water down the drain to refill the potentially siphoned-out trap.

If that trap refilling does not stop the odor, for cleaning, try pulling the cover from the overflow, and spray a bleach solution into the overflow pipe. If sewer, you can make it really strong. If septic, you can still do the spraying, but limit the amount of bleach to about 1/4 cup mixed with some water.

To add a vent,

Cathaus

Reaction score
I am not sure there is a proper vent for your trap's trap arm. That can cause siphoning. The maximum trap arm distance for a 1.5 inch pipe under IPC is 6 ft. https://codes.iccsafe.org/s/IPC2018/chapter-9-vents/IPC2018-Ch09-Sec909.1

And that presumes the pipe is properly sloped. The trap arm length is the length of pipe+fittings from the output of the trap U to the wye.

In your new 6866 photo, I presume that the far pipe coming in from the right is the lavatory waste. That would be the source of the wet venting. I think that should be 2 inch pipe.

In the lower left of your photo, where you join the PVC to cast iron, that looks odd.

Do you have septic or sewer.

As a temporary workaround, after a shower, wait a minute, and dribble maybe 2 cups of water down the drain to refill the potentially siphoned-out trap.

If that trap refilling does not stop the odor, for cleaning, try pulling the cover from the overflow, and spray a bleach solution into the overflow pipe. If sewer, you can make it really strong. If septic, you can still do the spraying, but limit the amount of bleach to about 1/4 cup mixed with some water.

To add a vent,
We live in the city and have a sewer. There is a big cast iron vent stack and that goes to the waste pipe. The toilet always connected that way they just added a new drain pipe for the toilet but the old galvanized pipes came in on each side of the toilet pipe. Of course I don’t have before pictures.
Not sure pipe sizing. Would an AAV valve behind tub trap help?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

You may be right that the trap is being siphoned. Where it the vent for the tub? Picture 6866?

Reach4

Reaction score
See if that refilling helps. If it does, that would indicate that the trap was being siphoned.

What does "behind" mean to you? If it means downstream by 3 or more inches, then it would prevent trap siphoning. If behind means upstream, then no.

Cathaus

Reaction score

You may be right that the trap is being siphoned. Where it the vent for the tub? Picture 6866?
No vent for tub and no easy way to install. There never was though. It was galvanized pipes and the tub had a drum trap.
Wondering if AAV would work here?

Cathaus

Reaction score
See if that refilling helps. If it does, that would indicate that the trap was being siphoned.

What does "behind" mean to you? If it means downstream by 3 or more inches, then it would prevent trap siphoning. If behind means upstream, then no.
Sorry behind meant behind tub which is where drain and trap are. The AAV would have to go after the trap correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, downstream of the trap.

The pipe from the lavatory may be serving as wet vent.

https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/20-18927_GR_2021_Plumbing_Venting_Brochure.pdf shows venting for IPC, and the picture at the bottom of page 12 is superset of most setups. The distance from the lavatory to the wye is not limited, if I understand correctly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-32-oz-Bleach-Resistant-Sprayer-Bottle-2-0-ZUPRO2/317117997 is a sprayer that claims to be more bleach-resistant than most. So maybe make a bleach solution that is 75% water and 25% bleach. Spray that.

If you don't want to be pulling the cover off of the overflow, you can probably figure out a squeeze bottle with a tube that will fit thru the overflow openings.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Does this tub have a built in overflow?

See post #3.

Last edited:

Cathaus

Reaction score

See post #3.

See post #3.
Me look at post three?

Drum trap is gone. That’s what was there for last 70+ years. Tub overflow is in tub. It’s an old cast iron tub. Probably 70+ years old.

Cathaus

Reaction score
Here is the back side of the tub behind the access panel. The back side of the tub is a closet. The tub is sort of in an alcove. Not sure where I could add an actual vent so I was thinking an AAV but not sure if there’s even enough room?

Attachments

• IMG_6871.jpeg
    IMG_6871.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 31

Cathaus

Reaction score
A few observations-
I closed the pop up drain overnight and no smell. I opened it about 30 minutes ago and it now smells. It’s odd because when I put my nose to the drain itself it doesn’t seem to smell strongest there (but at the overflow) however, closing the drain seems to contain the smell.
A family member took a bath last night. I also ran water down a few minutes after the last time the toilet was flushed before bed. Then closed the drain. It didn’t seem to help as the smell was there this morning once i opened the drain again .

I ordered some green gobbler enzyme drain cleaner to try incase this is biofilm or bacteria. I also ordered a small endoscopic camera to see if I can see into the p trap .
The plumber who installed is coming tomorrow. Not my typical plumber but at least maybe they can check it out.
My concern is the solution to this. My kitchen is about 95% done and I can’t rip the ceiling and wall open again.
The back of the tub is a closet with an access panel. The p trap connects to the waste pipe in a small visible area there. I’m not sure if I can fit an AAV there or what. I read about a trap primer?
What would be my options for fixing this if it siphons?

Cathaus

Reaction score
Closed the drain all day after I bleached it. Opened it up and within 10 mins smells awful. I think it’s getting worse.

Reach4

Reaction score
Interesting. With the drain open, maybe the overflow riser acts like a chimney allowing flow, and closing the drain stops that air flow.

Did you try spraying bleach solution into the overflow, and have it spread around inside as well as you can?

Have you pulled the linkage out of the overflow and cleaned?
There are two common types if you have a trip lever.
index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks