Sewer odor

Users who are viewing this thread

Meaghan

Reaction score
Hello!
We purchased our home last September and the sewer was finished being replaced as of March this year. For the last couple of months now we have noticed if the windows in the basement are shut then sewer odor fills the basement and travels upstairs. Even within a few minutes of shutting the windows. We have had a few professionals out to check on the issue. There are no empty traps, all drains are appropriately trapped, and there are no drains that could even vent into the basement. My husband and I are really capable and this one thing has us stumped! One idea someone had is that if for some reason the person who out the new system in didn't pump the old one before it was crushed then it could be decomposing under ground and being sucked in through the cinder blocks which are porous. So we have put down a sealant on the walls and floors. Unsure if this is helping. Please help!

Mliu

Reaction score
Do you have any plumbing fixtures in the basement or in the basement floor? A floor drain? A backwater valve? A cleanout?

Tell us more about the sewer replacement.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try to isolate smells by closing doors, and/or covering drains or other suspects with a cheap plastic drop cloth. Tape one over the area of wall where you suspect the smell is infiltrating. After a period of time, see which side of the plastic sheets the smell is strongest at.

husky-drop-cloth-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you had a smoke test or peppermint test done? I'm assuming if you've had several professionals at least one would have recommended one. If not then you've had the wrong people out.
Sometimes these things require more than a visual inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks