Can I add p-trap and AAV to a horizontal sewer line?

Users who are viewing this thread

dydx

Reaction score
Unfortunately so many things are messed up in the house I moved into last year. One of them:

Even though I never smelled sewer gas and never had any issues, it seems that the standpipe for my washer is not trapped (*). The standpipe just disappears in the wall via a few elbows and then goes straight down into the basement into a horizontal sewer line. I would like to fix this and along the way drain my HPWH condensate drain as well.

Please see the current setup along with a picture on the left. On the right, how I would want to install a part like this. As far as I know this would not be perfectly compliant because the washer should have 2". Hence I would consider building exactly the same myself out of PVC or ABS fittings.

xnDDU.jpg

Can I add a p-trap + AAV to the existing horizontal line, as shown?

Note: As far as I know AAVs are allowed where I live, but even if not, it would only improve the situation. I do not have the resources to create another vent or to connect to the vent from the BR sink. It is buried inside the wall and I do not want to open the wall.

(*) I was sticking down fishing tape with a tissue and from its length, it went approximately until the horizontal line in the basement. When I pulled it out, everything was bone-dry so I concluded there is no trap.

dydx

Reaction score
Just a bump … wondering if this post is already visible or did I anything wrong?
(Asking because I feel my question isn’t too untypical)