Sewer gas mystery

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by lyn12, Nov 21, 2015.

1. lyn12

lyn12 Member

2. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

Which is it? You DID or DID NOT? Why say one thing, when you have not done it at all?

ALL your pipes need to be checked/replaced.

You're the one suffering with the problem, not the "master plumber" that "didn't camera them but since it kitchen water didnt think they were the problem".

lyn12 likes this.
  3. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    Why dont you try a little experiment and install a couple of studor vents on the roof??
    Those auto air vents only allow air into the pipe and wont let air escape.....a 2 inch stdor vent
    would cost you about 20 bucks each... just attach them to the stack with fernco clamps and see what happens...

doing the running trap in the basement floor would be your only other option

I dont remember if you ever threw a smoke bomb down the drain to see what
    its doing...maybe you already have

lyn12 and standardairconditioner like this.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think the cure involves replacing the sewer line to at least the sidewalk, since you have replaced all of the sewer lines under the basement floor. Here is an easy test for you: how about opening the outside cleanout and see how that affects the inside smell. Also, try laying a tissue over the open cleanout. Is there airflow?

lyn12 likes this.
  5. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

I think the smartest thing you have done so far was getting rid of those hogs. I’m not too sure about your plumber. Whoever thinks kitchen waste doesn’t stink has never pumped out a grease trap. Septic tanks stink but I think a grease trap is worse. Besides that, the kitchen vents might be connected to the other drains and vent pipes. If you are connected to the sewer, the sewer odor will come out the kitchen vent just as smelly as it does from the toilet vent.

6. lyn12

lyn12 Member

7. lyn12

lyn12 Member

What does it mean if air flow is coming out of the clean out?

8. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

The clean out plug is missing or there is a hole in the plug etc. There should be a sealed cover on the cleanout.

lyn12 likes this.
  9. lyn12

lyn12 Member

They tested smoke bombs 3 times. They fixed anything leaking. But there was a smoke smell in the front yard. With the.camera

10. lyn12

lyn12 Member

I never had any pigs or livestock. It's a special charcoal filter vent on top of stack to filter sewer gas. The name of the filter is ODOR HOG.

11. lyn12

lyn12 Member

What would that do by taking the lid off the cleanout? Something to the pressure somehow? Ill try that.

12. lyn12

lyn12 Member

They tested smoke bombs 3 times. They fixed anything leaking. But there was a smoke smell in the front yard. With the.camera

13. lyn12

lyn12 Member

They did not camera the section from the kitchen under the concrete. I have no idea why! They sure charged enough. And.those pipes werent replaced

14. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Was that an exaggeration?

lyn12 likes this.
  15. lyn12

lyn12 Member

They said a.running trap is illegal.
    Exaggeration? In Illinois running traps are illegal! The pipes in front yard were NOT replaced. The ones in the basement under the concrete from the main drain to wash machine and to wall across room. The width lets say. I stated incorrect when I said ALL had been replaced. Also not replaced from kitchen to drain. All leaks repaired that were found. It checks pressure test ok and smoke bomb 3 times ok except smelled smoke in.area in front yard. All other pipes visible and open inside. Plumber said the other pipes from kitchen to drain could be replaced by putting above ground. But he doubted that would solve the problem

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  16. lyn12

lyn12 Member

I think the inline diaphram vent sounds like what I need. Im not sure what it is or why nobody has mentioned it. Studor vent. Would that do the same thing? I can order them online and seem easy to put on the vent on the roof.

17. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

I think Mark was talking about putting a Studor vent/air admittance valve/AAV on the roof vent just to see if that would help prevent sewer odor from wafting into the house from the roof. It was just an experiment he wanted you to try. You could probably tie a trash bag over the vent as a test and avoid buying a studor vent for his test.

lyn12 likes this.
  18. lyn12

lyn12 Member

Im going to order 2 of the Studor air vents and see if that works. A plumber told me they arent legal in Illinois?

19. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

They are not legal to install outside on the roof here either. I put one on a 3" vent that is at my back door because of septic odor wafting down onto my patio. It has been up there for 18 years, in full view. I have been afraid every day since I put it up there.

lyn12 likes this.
  20. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of

You can do anything you want to on your own property...

You can even run around your your house in your birthday suit
    as long as you please keep the blinds closed:eek::eek:o_Oo_O

Their are not " studor vent police" who are
    gonna come out and carry you away for installing them

NO ONE CARES.....

Enjoy...... and be careful getting up on that roof.....