Santa Rosa toilet distance from wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

canadave

Reaction score
I'm considering buying the Santa Rosa toilet, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, distance to wall and height is an issue.

I'm good distance-to-wall-wise up until a height of 27 3/4". At that point, there is a 3/4" protrusion from the wall. So any toilet I install needs to either be lower than 27 3/4", or further than 3/4" from the wall if it's taller than that.

The Santa Rosa spec sheet says it has a distance from wall of only 1/2" and a height of 28 3/16". That height is awfully close to being okay, but of course close isn't quite good enough given the 1/2" clearance required and the 3/4" protrusion from my wall. However, I'm wondering--that 1/2" distance from wall means that's the distance at it's "closest approach". If there's more distance than that from the wall at the very top of the toilet--i.e. the last inch of height--then it might be okay.

Can anyone who has a Santa Rosa confirm whether the inch or two at the top of the toilet is further from the wall than the lower parts? It's hard to tell from photos I've seen online, and the places I've been to look at the toilet all have it up on a display so that I can't see clearly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
santa_rosa_taylor7.jpg

The back looks to be vertical.

bmdc_12.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
However, I'm wondering--that 1/2" distance from wall means that's the distance at it's "closest approach".
I don't know if there is a modern toilet where the top of the tank is significantly farther from the wall than the lower stuff on a level floor. On the other hand, a slight tilt forward in any toilet would move the top of the tank away from the wall. So if you really wanted that, you could shim the back more than normal.

Have you thought about how you could make the part of the banjo top above the toilet to be removable? The toilet should have access from above to let you change the flapper/tower and the fill valve. I don't know what kind of small kerf saw could be used. The crack could be filled with a non-permanent sealant, such as you put around the base of the toilet, I would think, or you could use some kind of custom trim piece maybe.

If you wanted to pay the big buck$, you could look at a Toto Neorest. :eek: I am not seriously suggesting that however.

Last edited:

canadave

Reaction score
Have you thought about how you could make the part of the banjo top above the toilet to be removable? The toilet should have access from above to let you change the flapper/tower and the fill valve. I don't know what kind of small kerf saw could be used. The crack could be filled with a non-permanent sealant, such as you put around the base of the toilet, I would think, or you could use some kind of custom trim piece maybe.
The 3/4" piece is a piece of MDF that is attached vertically to the wall to support a shelf that's much higher, so I do have access to take the tank off of a toilet if I need to (even one taller than the Santa Rosa). I'm really tempted to trim off the bottom of it to allow the Santa Rosa install, though--the attraction of the Santa Rosa to me is that it has an elongated seat but is still compact in length (I have a small bathroom and don't want it to protrude too far out).

If anyone has any suggestions for good toilets that have 3/4" or more clearance from the wall or are less than 27 3/4" in height, have an elongated seat, but still aren't very "long" in terms of overall distance from the wall to the front of the bowl, I'm all ears :)

Reach4

Reaction score
The 3/4" piece is a piece of MDF that is attached vertically to the wall to support a shelf that's much higher, so I do have access to take the tank off of a toilet if I need to (even one taller than the Santa Rosa).
Pop. I finally comprehend. I was picturing a support that was vertical but at right angles to the wall, rather than a ledger board. In retrospect I should have clearly understood.

Maybe you could substitute some cove molding for your rectangular-cross-section board.

canadave

Reaction score

Swazz

Reaction score
Can anyione tell me the distance from the wall which the seat cover is when up? I am replacing a Wellworth and the is a counter top edge just over top it so I need a relatively short tank, but I am not sure if the Santa Rosa also has you sitting further back and may be too close to the wall/counter? It is about the same total length as the Wellworth but Santa Rosa is "elongated" so I'm wondering if that back of the seat is also shallower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks