Sanitizing a 500 gallon storage tank

Users who are viewing this thread

dieselfuelonly

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 500 gallon tank that I'm finally getting around to plumbing in as a solution to my low-yield well. It has sat inside my garage, out of the sun, for a little over two years with a couple inches of water in it. The tank itself looks fine aside from a little bit of sediment from my well that has settled to the bottom of it. I did notice some growth (some black and some red for what it's worth) on the flexible pickup tube that has a strainer that floats a few inches below the surface of the water.

I removed the pickup and have put it in a bleach solution that I'll let it sit in overnight.

As for the tank, it's too small for me to really get in and scrub, and too big for me to easily move. I'm thinking of filling it as high as I can with water/bleach, and then once I get the suction line hooked back up, turn on the pump and let it circulate through the suction line, to the pump, and eventually back to the tank for a few hours. I also have an empty mineral tank that will be filled with some filter media later on and a cartridge filter housing (empty) that would be in the "loop" as well, so the bleached water would circulate through those too. My thoughts are to then shut everything off and let it settle for 24 hours, pump it as dry as I can get it, fill it up with water and check for no more bleach, then hook it up?

Think this would work well?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks