Rusted flange, need to replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Needhelp12

Reaction score
We had our bathroom re-tiled and now need to reinstall the toilet. Subfloor is concrete. The flange looks rusted and we aren't sure it will bolt down the toilet and be secure (see pic below). Are we ok to just add spacers to get to the right height and reinstall or does this flange need to be removed and replaced? Can we do it ourselves? We were not having any issues with toilet prior to removing for new flooring. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 705

Needhelp12

Reaction score
If the existing flange cannot hold the closet bolts securely, you want to put a repair ring on top to hold down the toilet.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/broken-closet-flange.56422/#post-415004 shows one type of repair ring.

Thank you for your quick response! I have 2 additional questions if you don't mind.
1. Is it ok to leave the rusted flange in place? Will that cause additional issues?
2. How would I attach this to the concrete subfloor without messing up the new tile?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. OK.
2. If you use one like the one in the link above, you would have to drill holes thru your tile. While the toilet would cover the holes, that drilling can be very hard with porcelain tile. If you use one like this, then the holes get drilled thru the old ring, which would be easier drilling:
886-mr.jpg

http://www.siouxchief.com/products/...flanges/spacer-repair/ringer?template=P3Video

I would maybe use 1-3/4 inch x 3/16 Tapcon screws into the concrete. They sell a particular size drill for the concrete, and you then screw in the screw. They are available in stainless, but I don't think stainless would be needed here. I am not a plumber.

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks