rust particles in bathroom sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
hi ,
trying to break up a clog in a bathrom sink. I tried using an augur, but only got about 2 feet in. Using a shop vac, I vacuumed out a lot of rust particles. Now its draining, but veryyyy slow. Any suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of pipe was used. If it's galvanized pipe, it may be time to replace it. If it's cast iron, while that normally can last a very long time, in some circumstances, it can rust out...it's not as common as problems with galvanized, which eventually will rust out. Note that with metal drain pipes, they don't tend to have nice smooth, rounded curved fittings, and it can be much tougher to get a snake around corners.

Galvanized, when it rusts out, can narrow the line, and prior to that, as it rusts, creates a rough surface that tends to trap and hold things, making it rust out faster.

Reaction score
It depends on what kind of pipe was used. If it's galvanized pipe, it may be time to replace it. If it's cast iron, while that normally can last a very long time, in some circumstances, it can rust out...it's not as common as problems with galvanized, which eventually will rust out. Note that with metal drain pipes, they don't tend to have nice smooth, rounded curved fittings, and it can be much tougher to get a snake around corners.

Galvanized, when it rusts out, can narrow the line, and prior to that, as it rusts, creates a rough surface that tends to trap and hold things, making it rust out faster.

Thanks jadnashau for your response. Unfortunately I can't see the pipe. There is no access to it. The only thing I can see is the waste connection. This is where I put the shop vac hose, and sucked out the rust particles. The house was built in the 20's, I'm guessing its cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks