Roto Rooter Strikes Again

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
99K tell him next time, he can use a piece of 1 1/2 pvc to extend from his machine into the hole for the d-box...
He doesn't have to get up close an personal with his work!

I don't wear my work!:cool:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The new boots :( were in the muck yesterday when Greyhound called and said floor drains were souping over. You, see redwood, these were black friday specials, and I got 'em at a good price and... :cool:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The new boots :( were in the muck yesterday when Greyhound called and said floor drains were souping over. You, see redwood, these were black friday specials, and I got 'em at a good price and... :cool:

As Redwood reaches behind his seat and pulls these on over his shoes...

Proper PPE anyone?

pACE3-1042454dt.jpg

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
99K tell him next time, he can use a piece of 1 1/2 pvc to extend from his machine into the hole for the d-box...
He doesn't have to get up close an personal with his work!

I don't wear my work!:cool:

Great tip ... they say necessity is the mother of invention. I certainly would be doing things different than the last two guys that showed up at my house, however, I think some guys just don't care.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep, Quite a few times I have snaked a line from some distance away by using the pipe trick...

10' away on level ground sitting on my bucket seat running the machine...
The cable running through a piece of 1 1/2" pipe to the location that I don't want to be at.
Sure beats wearing your work!:cool:

I've got all the tricks!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with RR and they said they would be calling and going out today to correct the problem.

We will see what happens...to be continued...

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
We get 265 bucks to rod a main sewer for the first hour. If it goes longer than that it is 80 bucks per half hour. I enjoy clearing drains, people really are excited to see me pull up in their drive way and are super thankful they can flush again. Kitchen Sinks are messy but have a great gratification factor, after rodding a sink line and you fill up the kitchen sink and show the home owner how well it drains, they always say" WOW, it never drained that fast." When ever I do a plumbing job the expect it to look great and not leak and usely complain about the bill.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I never slammed RR for the price only the quality of work.

For what was done in my NSHO it was a litte pricey for 1 Hr. worth of work and not snaking the drain and it was hacked on top of it all.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew that was coming once I sent my reply. The roto rooter in this town is owned by a guy that definitely has his sh*t down pat( no pun intended). We called him in to jet a main and I thought the whole process was awesome.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
kingsotall,we have been in business since 1959. The sad truth about the plumbing industry lots of contractors do not know how to price for their services. You must base your prices on what it costs to run your business not what others in your area charge. Yesterday I got 4 calls that I can tell where from plumbers in the area shopping prices. My father used to do the same thing till one day he was shown the light.

Another thing that lots of contractors do not realize is there is three parts of business you can provide a customer. 1) Price, 2) Quality, 3) Time (promptness of service) You can not give the home owner the best of all three. If your price is low and you provide quality service, your phone will be ringing off the wall and people may have to wait days for you. If you have a low price and you get to each job as fast as you can, your quality will suffer. So in our case we provide the best quality, and prompt service, for that people will pay a higher rate. One thing I failed to mention we guarantee our roddings for 2 years. The only recalls I get are abuse (tampons, paper towel, and so on) or a pipe collapsed.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Well, from my experience customers won't wait 4 hours much less a day or two, especially for drain back-ups. They'll just call another plumber but yeah I hear ya. I just think the price is a bit on the steep end but that is a nice warranty on the work you guys have. Shows integrity, something I can respect.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Well, from my experience customers won't wait 4 hours much less a day or two, especially for drain back-ups. They'll just call another plumber but yeah I hear ya. I just think the price is a bit on the steep end but that is a nice warranty on the work you guys have. Shows integrity, something I can respect.

Thank you Kingsotall, well in Chicago area our price is middle of the road. There are guys out there getting $650 to unclog a main line, same guys charge $450 to reset a water closet. Where we get about $150 to reset a water closet. Like I said contractors need to base their prices on what it costs them to due business not what their competitors charge. The guys that charge the $450 to reset a water closet they have ads on TV , radio, billboards 20 new trucks and so on. So their charges reflect their costs.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
prices might be dropping

our . The guys that charge the $450 to reset a water closet they have ads on TV , radio, billboards 20 new trucks and so on. So their charges reflect their costs.

the companies that have 20 trucks are beginning to feel the weight of their own overhead...

perhaps its the sign of the times we are going into but I get a lot of calls from people that were in shock from the prices they got from some of the big companies...

1400 for a 40 gal gas heater.... ok....thanks, I will get back to you

in this town a lot of the big companies are still chargeing the same high prices, but have "consolidated" or merged with a couple of other companies in one building...

I am sure its the same story across the USA, with a lot of larger comapnies implodeing from their expences and high costs... we have 3 in our town already that I am aware of....

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
450 to pull and reset a toilet¿

650 to mainline¿

CHI-TOWN here I come!! :eek:

MPM, the crunch is being felt here, too. Some are going so far as saying, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!"

Next coming months and years are going to be very interesting, to say the least.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Another thing that lots of contractors do not realize is there is three parts of business you can provide a customer. 1) Price, 2) Quality, 3) Time (promptness of service) You can not give the home owner the best of all three. If your price is low and you provide quality service, your phone will be ringing off the wall and people may have to wait days for you. If you have a low price and you get to each job as fast as you can, your quality will suffer. So in our case we provide the best quality, and prompt service, for that people will pay a higher rate.

I agree. The simple fact is that regardless what the price is, 20% of your prospects always will complain about the price. If you are getting every job, then you are doing something wrong. Providing the best quality and keeping your word (at a fair price) are the foundation to a successful business

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
My father said it got like this back in the late 70's Back then the phone books plumbing section was twice as thick as the lawyers section. A few years later it thined out alot and there was alot of used plumbing equipment to be had at pawn shops.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
pawn shop wheel n' deals

Now we're talking! You won't find my copper cutters at the hock shop, though!
*knocks on wood*

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Another thing that lots of contractors do not realize is there is three parts of business you can provide a customer. 1) Price, 2) Quality, 3) Time (promptness of service) You can not give the home owner the best of all three. If your price is low and you provide quality service, your phone will be ringing off the wall and people may have to wait days for you. If you have a low price and you get to each job as fast as you can, your quality will suffer. So in our case we provide the best quality, and prompt service, for that people will pay a higher rate. One thing I failed to mention we guarantee our roddings for 2 years. The only recalls I get are abuse (tampons, paper towel, and so on) or a pipe collapsed.

Just the other day I went to a call. The woman asks me if I know "Jerry"... I'm clueless! She then tells me the kitchen sink is backing up and needs to be snaked. Okay I go over to the sink and run the water for several minutes with no sign of backing up...

I must be pretty dumb because when I tell her that the kitchen is not backing up... I get the rest of the story...

It backs up in the laundry sink downstairs... But, Jerry always snakes it from the kitchen sink via a removed trap. He comes about twice a year. So I ask to go in the basement to check things out...

She gives me this look like what do you want to do that for... Jerry always does it from the sink up here...

I go into the basement and just below where the laundry sink connects behind the washer is a 3" cleanout. So I'm not going to snake it like Jerry does. I'm going to use the big machine with a 3" blade in the basement.

I go back up and give her the price and she tells me nevermind... I just found Jerry's Discount Rooter's card... He only charges $129 to snake a line!

Some people are just destined not to be your customer!
But then again do you want them?

I don't even auger a toilet for $129!:D

Why would I want to drag my K-7500 down into her basement to clean a line for that price? We'll let her continue to have Jerry come over and run his 3/8' cable without a blade through her 3" pipe every 6 months. She clearly cannot comprehend that there might be a better way, that costs a little more, that would have her line running clear a long time.

BTW when I auger a toilet it includes a complete check of its operation, setting the tank water level for optimum flushing, cleaning of the ports under the rim and the siphon jet, adjusting the flapper chain, and replacement of the flapper for parts cost only if needed.

We do the work and do our best to make sure it doesn't recurr. We also totally clean up our work area so it looks like we weren't even there.

I bet jerry just runs his auger through, watches the water go down and collects.

Yea we're not cheap... But we're good!:cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks