Piping question

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
This mess all drains to a drywell.
The pipe to the left, that connects to the Y (that is backwards) is from the slop sink about seven feet away.
The flexible drain from the washer is in riser, with a p-trap.
The vertical PVC with the clean-out is from the kitchen and drains two sinks up there.

My situation...
I replace the PVC line from the kitchen every couple of years as the line gets clogged with soap residue and it is easier to do that than to call a roto-rooter type service. Also...I want as little as possible going into the line to the dry well.

Lately, the slop sink backs up when the washer drains. I can't snake the pipe with the riser that the washer line drains into because of the p-trap.
Oddly, when I put a hose into all lines, and the clean-out, I get full drainage!
My guess is that the Y is causing some sort of issue.
I really do not want to connect to my septic as that might increase the likelihood of septic failure. The dry well is under the driveway and all of it is very old.

Plumbers are in short supply and are not responding. I suppose that the ones I trust are too busy with more lucrative jobs.

My question...how should the Y be installed and why do you think that it was installed that way, back in the day?
I assume that, back in the fifties, a reliable plumber set that whole thing up.
Not enough drop from the slop sink is my guess.
All the connections are ancient and beyond my skill set to replace but thoughts are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 131

Reach4

Reaction score
My question...how should the Y be installed
The way you think it should have been.
and why do you think that it was installed that way,back in the day?
Ignorance by somebody with an artistic sense, rather than a "form follows function" sense.

I think that originally the big fitting in the wall was a cleanout.

FatDaddy

Reaction score
No longer an issue. I got a plumber who re-piped it. The line from the house to the drywell is now questionable but I bought some time,for now.
When I get my septic pumped in Fall I will ask about a new drywell.
Sure wish I had public sanitation lines...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks