Risky Business? CI Offset Flange Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Always Sometging

Reaction score
I had a leak from the base of a ground level toilet that is agonizingly slow to flush. I pulled the toilet, which is on a 2” offset cast iron flange, and noticed that the drain pipe is irregularly cut and has high points sticking up above the flange “duct.” The flange offset combines with the lip of the drain pipe to form a ledge that I assume must disrupt the flow of a flush. The toilet is an American Standard Vent Away (1970’s) that I rebuilt and is in good condition.

I’d like to remove the flange, lower and smooth the drain pipe, and install a new Jones Stephen flange. My wife, knowing how my projects sometimes go and imagining the worst case scenario, asked what I would do if I damaged the drain pipe. Valid question. After cleaning the flange up somewhat, it is in better shape than it looked at first and will require some serious cutting and grinding to remove. Removing it is not just a matter of prying up some rusted chunks with a screwdriver. What is the probability of cracking the drain pipe while attempting to remove the flange? Or should I leave the flange in place and just grind the drain pipe down as best I can? Thanks...

74492630-97EE-433A-A10C-E9693AF08CD9.jpeg D21E8D2A-0D9B-420C-9E19-A782AAE5B853.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looking at that I'm not concerned however toilet agonizingly slow to flush is a concern . I'd check it running a hose down , 50 year toilet would be gone unless its just really fits the decor I understand wanting that pink or blue toilet whatever. but its gotta go

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would leave the flange as is.
The slow flushing toilet may need to be augered through the trapway to make sure someone didn't leave forgotten things in it.
Old eye glasses, make up pens, army men, little cars.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks