Rinnai exhaust inspection / flame issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfesting

Reaction score
Hello, all -

Having an issue or two with my Rinnai, and need a little advice.

My Rinnai is vented with a noncondensing ubbink immediate 90 out the exterior wall that it's mounted on. My question: How do you remove the 90 to inspect / clean the exhaust? I'm not finding enough flex / wiggle room to get it out. I've even loosened the wall mount and tilted the top of the unit about an inch forward. What is the trick that I am missing?

The real issue I am having:
No error codes; when in high flow / high flame scenario, the flame "tornados" and creates a loud bass-like sound with vibration. At a low flame the flames look pretty good; perhaps a hair high but I might be overthinking that. I have cleaned the intake air turbine, the burners, and descaled. I do those things on a regular basis. It's on a propane tank and has been in operation for about 11 years. Again, the exhaust has never been inspected as I can't get that 90 off. This issue coincides with fall and "stink bug season" where flocks of bugs try to migrate indoors.

I have not looked into gas pressure yet; would need to acquire a manometer. This would be my next step after examining exhaust. Would be surprised if gas delivery changed; am I wrong to think a regulator is a low failure rate item? This is the only device using this propane tank.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks