Right Glue? Not sure if drain is ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjmifsud

Reaction score
I had to crawl 80-ft in an 18" crawlspace to snap this pic, so it's tough to go back and check again. To glue in a cleanout, do I use a PVC or ABS fitting? Isn't the black pipe ABS? Is the white "y" PVC?

I noticed the glue used was black?

I had this roughed in for me five years ago and only now am completing this bathroom.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_184936.jpg
    IMG_20190304_184936.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ABS uses ABS pipe which is black.
PVC uses PVC pipe which is white.
ABS glue is black, PVC glue can be clear or blue.
They do make a transition glue that is green. Most inspectors don't allow gluing ABS to PVC though.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
ABS uses ABS pipe which is black.
PVC uses PVC pipe which is white.
ABS glue is black, PVC glue can be clear or blue.
They do make a transition glue that is green. Most inspectors don't allow gluing ABS to PVC though.
We use ABS 95 percent of the time here. Never seen or heard of black ABS glue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bjmifsud

Reaction score
So, just to make very clear, as I did not pose the questions very well, so a poorly asked question can't be answered well..

1) The fitting must be PVC since it's white?
2) The Pipes must be ABS since they are black?
3) Gluing one to the other is not a good idea, and is probably not acceptable under local code (will look up California/ Sonoma County Code)
4) If you do glue one to the other, there are transitional glues that can mate ABS to PVC? If so, how good are they?

Thanks
Brian

Reach4

Reaction score
1 and 2 I agree with. 3 I am not sure of. I suspect it is fine. 4. https://www.oatey.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/Oatey_ABS_to_PVC_Transition_Green.pdf This transition is permitted in Illinois code.

But here is my question: if the fitting is not glued yet, why not get that fitting in ABS?

To glue in a cleanout, do I use a PVC or ABS fitting?
To glue a cleanout into that PVC as it sits, use PVC. With PVC you need to use a primer (usually dyed purple, and the purple dye is required in some places), and then you apply a glue. Read up on that. I am not a plumber.

Bjmifsud

Reaction score
1 and 2 I agree with. 3 I am not sure of. I suspect it is fine. 4. https://www.oatey.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/Oatey_ABS_to_PVC_Transition_Green.pdf This transition is permitted in Illinois code.

But here is my question: if the fitting is not glued yet, why not get that fitting in ABS?

To glue a cleanout into that PVC as it sits, use PVC. With PVC you need to use a primer (usually dyed purple, and the purple dye is required in some places), and then you apply a glue. Read up on that. I am not a plumber.

That "Y-Fitting" is glued by the plumber who is long gone. I just wanted to make sure there were no white -abs fittings as that long crawl is a major PIA and I don't want to find out I used the wrong glue with the clean out falling off some time. If the white is always PVC, then no problem, purple PVC glue for the PVC cleanout and I'm good to go.

Seeing the black glue on the other pipes down there which ARE PVC was something I've never seen. I hope that glue was a "Transitional" .

Thanks All.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks