Rheem vs. Ruud?

Users who are viewing this thread

cleavet

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Are there differences between Rheem- and Ruud-branded water heaters? It looks like the product lines are identical (except for the nameplate). I know they're the same company, but is one brand a premium line, and the other lower-end?

I'm looking to replace my old electric tank, and based on advice here I'm going to avoid Home Depot (Rheem) and ask my plumber for something specific from the local supply shop (Ruud).

Thanks very much.

cleavet

Reaction score
...and the "Similar Threads" list shows me that this was asked back in 2010. So much for my search skills! :-D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rheem, Ruud, Vanguard, GE, Richmond, Hotpoint and probably a couple of others are ALL the same heater with different nameplates. In the "old days" Rheem was sold East of the Rockies and Ruud was to the West side of them.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some people put too much emphasis on the water heater brand name, but the reality is that the quality of your new WH is pure luck.
If home depot is close to you and their price is good...buy from them.
However, if you are going to hire a plumber, let him pick. Most plumbers don't have a preference, they just want to buy the WH from their regular supplier (for different various reasons).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks