Revamped system recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

H22lude

Reaction score
My current system just has a pressure tank (40-60 switch). My pressure tank is a Water Pro made by Amtrol. I want to replace that and add a few other things but have no clue where to start. The current tank is a 32 gallon tank.

For a new pressure tank, I've read Amtrol is one of the best. Should I replace this one with an actual Amtrol 32 gallon? Is there something specific I should look for?

When replacing that, I'd also like to add a constant pressure switch. I'd like less pressure fluctuation. What would I need for this?

I also need something to remove manganese and increase pH. Below is my water report for last year. pH is pretty low and manganese is right at the top of the ok level. I also included a picture of my fridge filter. The inlet end has the brownish staining which I get over time in my tubs and toilets.

pH 5.54
Calcium Hardness 5.17 mg/L
Chloride 4.45 mg/L
Chlorine <0.05 mg/L
Nitrate .256 mg/L
Nitrite <0.01 mg/L
Sulfate 6.61 mg/L
Calcium 2.07 mg/L
Manganese 0.0403 mg/L
Iron <0.05 mg/L
Sodium 3.66 mg/L
Flouride .283 mg/L
Aluminum .232 mg/L
Copper 0.015 mg/L
Total Coliform absent

What type of pH neutralizer should I get?

What would I need to remove manganese from the water?

Is there anything else I should add while the well company is already here? Would a sediment filter help (our faucet aerators usually have what looks like sand in them all the time)? What about a whole house carbon block?

I don't mind spending a little extra money for top notch equipment that will do its job well and last a thing time.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20200112_134437.jpg
    20200112_134437.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 155

Reach4

Reaction score
For the pH, you might get a sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide injection system. You might use a calcite +corosex tank followed by a softener. A softener can remove manganese. So I am not sure what would be best. I suggest you post your water test results into the softener forum for suggestions. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/ That serves as the water treatment forum.

You would want a sediment filter too.

Amtrol makes several different pressure tanks. Their premium brand is Well-X-Trol. Many of their other brands have lesser features. If you don't get a constant pressure system, you probably want to go to a bigger pressure tank, such as 44 gallons. If you use a CSV, then you don't need as big of pressure tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Reach says use a larger tank or a CSV. A 32 gallon tank only holds 8 gallons of water, and a 44 gallon tank holds about 10. Your water comes from the well and pump, not the tank. The tank's only function is to limit the number of on/off cycles for the pump. When you have a Cycle Stop Valve to do that for you, you don't need much of a tank. The PK1A kit with the 4.5 or the 10 gallon tank would make a good replacement for what you have. You can get that kit less tank, and use whatever size and brand you think is best. But the tank is of much less importance when you have a CSV,

H22lude

Reaction score
Thank you both. Would a CSV be a better way to prolong the pump or does that not really affect it?

I will post my report in the filter section.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV solves so many problems and makes the pump last so much longer that many pump manufacturers have blacklisted the CSV as a disruptive product. The exact quote was..."The CSV makes pumps last longer and use smaller tanks. Anyone working for this pump company that mentions a CSV will be fired immediately." People who have worked with pumps all their lives will have their jaw drop when they see how a CSV works for the first time. I love to watch the light bulb come on over their heads the first time they see a CSV work. The CSV is nothing new. It has been making pumps last longer since 1993. People who say the CSV is a waste of money and not needed are just idiots, no way of sugar coating it. :)

H22lude

Reaction score
Well looks like I'll go that route then. Is there a specific set up/brand that is better than others?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks