Will Katalox Light Alone Solve my Iron Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

NC_Gator

Reaction score
Shown below are the results from county testing of my well water which shows my iron level in my 30-year well at 2.65 (three years ago it was 0.6), pH at 6.57, and hardness at 1.7 (29 mg CACO3/L).

Currently we just have two 10" cartridge filters (5 micron and 1 micron in series) that remove sediment. They keep the water clear for 2 to 4 weeks before orange tint starts to return unless changed again. We get staining in our toilets, showers, and sinks requiring the use of iron out.

No problems with taste or smell.

My main problem needing to be addressed is iron. Would a katalox light filter alone be able to handle iron removal at my current PH level? If not, what would be the recommended combination to eliminate the iron? I am getting slightly more than 7 gallons per minute from my pump.

Alkalinity 50
Arsenic < 0.005
Barium < 0.1
Calcium 5.4
Cadmium < 0.001
Chromium < 0.01
Iron 2.65
Harness 29 mg CACO3/L
Lead, flushed < 0.003
Mangnesium 3.9
Manganese < 0.03
Mercury < 0.0005
Nitrate < 0.5
Nitrite < 0.1
pH 6.57
Selenium < 0.005
Silver < 0.01
Sodium 8.8
Zinc < 0.50

newbobda

Reaction score
Shown below are the results from county testing of my well water which shows my iron level in my 30-year well at 2.65 (three years ago it was 0.6), pH at 6.57, and hardness at 1.7 (29 mg CACO3/L).

Currently we just have two 10" cartridge filters (5 micron and 1 micron in series) that remove sediment. They keep the water clear for 2 to 4 weeks before orange tint starts to return unless changed again. We get staining in our toilets, showers, and sinks requiring the use of iron out.

No problems with taste or smell.

My main problem needing to be addressed is iron. Would a katalox light filter alone be able to handle iron removal at my current PH level? If not, what would be the recommended combination to eliminate the iron? I am getting slightly more than 7 gallons per minute from my pump.

Alkalinity 50
Arsenic < 0.005
Barium < 0.1
Calcium 5.4
Cadmium < 0.001
Chromium < 0.01
Iron 2.65
Harness 29 mg CACO3/L
Lead, flushed < 0.003
Mangnesium 3.9
Manganese < 0.03
Mercury < 0.0005
Nitrate < 0.5
Nitrite < 0.1
pH 6.57
Selenium < 0.005
Silver < 0.01
Sodium 8.8
Zinc < 0.50
did you find an answer to your question?

Mswlogo

Reaction score
My guess is probably.

I have pH 7.0 and 7.7 iron and Filox (similar stuff) gets rid of all iron.

It did not get rid of the Manganese though.

newbobda

Reaction score
My guess is probably.

I have pH 7.0 and 7.7 iron and Filox (similar stuff) gets rid of all iron.

It did not get rid of the Manganese though.
really? i thought filox was better at removing manganese than katalox

Bannerman

Reaction score
To be most effective, the recommend service flow rate for Filox is only 1-6 GPM per square foot, so for a 10" diameter media tank, this will equal 0.5 - 3.2 GPM flowing to fixtures. Exceeding these rates will reduce the contact time with the media, usually resulting in some amount of iron and/or manganese leaking through the media.

Since the effective recommended backwash rate for Filox is 25-30 GPM per square foot, using a 10" tank, will require the backwash rate to be 14-16 GPM.

In contrast, the effective service flow rate for Katalox Light is much higher at 6-12 GPM per ft2, so 3.2 to 6.5 GPM for a 10" tank.

As the recommended backwash rate for KL is 10-15 GPM per ft2, this will equal 5.4-8.1 GPM, which will usually be more achievable for most well pumps to supply.