Resonating water hammer help

Users who are viewing this thread

AdamG

Reaction score
I have a resonating water hammer issue I could use some advice on.

I replaced a rubber washer which had long ago disintegrated on the hot water control for my bathtub. Fixture is from the 1920s, I believe.

I also did the same for the water volume control for the wall sprayers in the shower.

Now the bathtub hot water pipes resonate/hammers like mad when the value is on at medium/low volume. If you turn it up the hammering stops. This means of course that when you go to fill the bathtub you necessarily pass through the period where it will always hammer.

The photo attached is of the shower valve showing the old washer, or what’s left of it. The bathtub value is very similar but I don’t have a photo of it.

I cleaned away the remains of the old washer as best I could and put a new washer that looked to be the right size in place.

My repair to the shower is a-ok. But on the bath I now have the terrible resonating/hammering that sounds like it will tear the pipes apart. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks!

(hopefully my image displays as this is my first time posting here not sure I got that right.)

FE988869-A116-4268-B465-60FD5DE6C84C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Locating a cause for a water hammer is one of life mysteries. The simplest thing to do is add arrestors on both the hot and cold lines. It does not have to be near the faucets. Anywhere you have access to the water lines. What type of water heater and heating system you have? Has this hammer existed before or started or got worse after changing the valve stem washer?

https://www.siouxchief.com/products/supply/arresters-and-trap-primers/arresters/hydrarester

AdamG

Reaction score
The hammering started only after I changed the washer. Everything was fine before that. Apart from the dripping which led me to change the washer in the first place. ;)

Locating a cause for a water hammer is one of life mysteries. The simplest thing to do is add arrestors on both the hot and cold lines. It does not have to be near the faucets. Anywhere you have access to the water lines. What type of water heater and heating system you have? Has this hammer existed before or started or got worse after changing the valve stem washer?

https://www.siouxchief.com/products/supply/arresters-and-trap-primers/arresters/hydrarester

AdamG

Reaction score
Forgot to answer your other question. Heat is hot water boiler & radiators. Hot water is its own gas fired water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks