Replacing well tee - Problem to use a reducer on tank output

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Williams

Reaction score
So currently I have a brass tee that is all 1.25". I then use close nipples on both ends to go to the 1" that I have in the house. Sadly I am getting a weep through the fitting so I plan to replace it. Looks like a mfg defect. Not a huge deal but it's only been in for 3 years so it is a bummer.

My question is that I would like to reduce points to leak so I was thinking why bother with a 1.25" tee when my line coming in is 1" and going out is 1". The issue is that my Amtrol tank is 1.25".

Is there an issue if I use a reducer on the tank to make it 1". This way everything can use the threads on a 1" tee without the close nipples.

Wondering if there is a problem with this?

Thank you kindly in advance.
Chris

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Ideally, you want a low resistance path between the pressure switch and pressure tank. So even if feeding 3/4 from the well, a bigger path inside of the tank tee is not a waste. But if your pressure switch is close to the tank, I am confident that 1 inch will be fine.

I am not sure what you have, but tank tees often have 1 inch female and 1-1/4 male (both) on each end. So if you are saying that you have a tank tee, you may already have 1 inch NPT threads on it.

Where is the leaking? If at the tank, maybe unscrewing, apply PTFE tape and pipe dope both, and re-installing may be fine.

Chris Williams

Reaction score
Thank you.

Just like you said my exisiting tee has internal 1" threads and external 1.25" threads. I have a close nipple going inside using the 1" threads. The leak is between two of the external threads. So it's not leaking on any of the actual fitting. The threads must have been cut too deeply or the metal to thin so its actually weeping through the fitting itself.

Chris Williams

Reaction score
I do have very acidic water but thought brass should hold up longer than this. I am going to replace it with a stainless version. I have neutrailizers and other equipment but those are a few feet downstream from this

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks