Replacing Water Heater Options and questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Brent Blevins

Reaction score
Looking to replace twin RUUD Guardians (P2-50F1) plumbed in series. They were built and put into service in 2006. The second WH has a small amount of water in the pan so it appears to have developed a leak and the pilot light will not light. I am a little OCD and just feel like I should replace them both. With that in mind, I have a couple questions...

First question:
Which heater??? I am no plumber but have read the first 45 pages of this forum. I understand each brand is a crap-shoot on quality/longevity. I have read about all the warranty issues for the Home Depot Rheem models and that concerns me. I was looking at the two models below from HD:
  1. https://tinyurl.com/yasah68o - Costs $589
  2. https://tinyurl.com/ycphbzlv - Costs $649
Pretty sure it is the same unit from top to bottom with a different sticker...

I called a local supply house that sells to the public and they have a Bradford White Model RG250T6N for$380 and then an extra $150 for the magic sticker that changes the warranty from a 6-year warranty to a 10-year warranty. I didn't see a whole lot of comments on BW versus Rheem. Thoughts? Is the Reem better or should I just buy the BW that has local (and immediate) parts availability? Is the magic sticker worth the $150?

I can also get a Rheem Pro G50-40N-RH62 for $489 from another local supplier.

Second Question:
Again, I am no plumber... I am going to do the work myself because all of the parts I need to do the job are available with the Shark Bite fittings. I can use the stainless steel flex hoses to connect to the existing hard copper lines or replace the hard copper as needed. I can replace the gas lines and use pipe dope on the connection.
What I have a problem with is the thought of installing the thermal expansion tank. It just seems unnecessary. Everything I have read indicates that the bladder fails over time and at that point, they serve no purpose. It makes me wonder how many of those tanks are installed that have failed that will never be replaced. Our water heaters all worked fine before someone came up with what I see as a new income stream for suppliers and plumbers alike. I don't mean that to be insulting, just the way I see it. So the question is, why should I install one?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you don't have a check valve on the incoming cold, you won't need the expansion tank. Some places have replaced the old meters with check valved meters. That becomes an issue when that has changed.

Brent Blevins

Reaction score
I know they came through and installed the new "smart meters" about 2 years ago Terry. I guess I can call them and ask if they have check valves. Do you have a recommendation on which WH to use? I have noticed you use the Rheem Pro models in the pictures you have posted.

Brent Blevins

Reaction score
So the new meters do have a double check valve installed. Does the T&P valve not take care of thermal expansion if the pressure reaches an unsafe level? If not, I guess I can add an expansion tank. I just really don't want to.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
T&P Valves are not designed for excess water pressure relief, that causes them to lime up and freeze closed so that
when needed they fail to operate causing a EXPLOSION ! that is why you use a thermal expansion tank,
look up myth busters water heater explosion, or Google it

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
T&P Valves are not designed for excess water pressure relief, that causes them to lime up and freeze closed so that when needed they fail to operate causing a EXPLOSION ! that is why you use a thermal expansion tank,
look up myth busters water heater explosion, or Google it

I've heard of capped off T&P's being an issue with explosions, but you're saying they can also lime up solid?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where I live, even in an open system (now) they require an expansion tank for any new or replacement WH...you need to check your local building code office. This is to allow the utility to do upgrades without everyone then having problems with their WH releasing from their T&P valves.

Brent Blevins

Reaction score
OK, so since there are Check Valves in my meter and it is a closed system, I will add the tank. Can y'all help me on water heaters? Is there a preference between the Bradford White and the Rheem Pro line?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry they don't lime completely closed just enough to freeze the valve closed where it won't open, or not all the way
to release enough hot water and STEAM to prevent a explosion

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Can y'all help me on water heaters? Is there a preference between the Bradford White and the Rheem Pro line?"

Each brand has pluses and minuses. Google "WH complaints" on any brand, and you see tons of pages of them.
I would go for the lowest price WH and without the added "warranty" (These warranties rarely help you in a time of need, because mfgs find ways to deny them).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks