Replacing pressure tank - Correct Size

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Fran52, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Fran52

Fran52 New Member

I recently purchased a home and had a well inspection performed before purchase. The inspection concluded that the pressure tank was defective. I would like to replace the tank myself but I wanted to make sure it is sized correctly. This is my first home with well water and the pressure is significantly lower than city water, but I would expect that. The house is about 2700 sq ft and we have two young children, so a fair amount of water would be used. Should I replace the tank with the same model or is there anything I can do to possibly increase pressure?
    WellTest.jpg WellTest2.jpg

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You want the pressure tank size in gallons to be at least 4 x gpm of the pump. Bigger is better. The Well-X-Trol WX-203 32 gallon is the smallest I would consider. It has a 1 inch pipe input.

Above that, the WX-250 44 gallon tank would be a nice upgrade. It has a 1.25 input, so some adapting would be needed.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Bigger is not better when it comes to tanks. The larger the tank the longer you will experience low pressure. If you want good strong constant pressure I wouldn't use any larger than a 10 gallon tank with a CSV1A.