Replacing old tub with new. How to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lewis Shugar

Reaction score
Please tell me how to replace an old bathtub with a new one of the same size.
My bathroom is 5' wide, tub is about the same length. The back wall is the outside wall of the house. The spout and drain end is against a wall that opens into a storage area. The other end is against a bedroom wall. Question is how to get old tub out? :confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since the tub is 60" long ( fits right up to studs in wall) and the distance between the finished wall surfaces will be 59" or less, you can see that some demolition is required. The wall material overlaps the tub flange on the back and ends, so this must be dealt with. A toilet or vanity close to the tub may have to be temporarily moved out of the way.

Having access to the back of the drain and water pipes through the wall of the storage area will make that part of the job easier.

An old tub can be cut up or broken up in place to simplify removal; but you must establish clearance for the new tub to come in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

For a plumber the removal and installation is fairly easy. But it would be very difficult to try to describe how to maneuver the old tub out, install the new drain fittings in the proper place and then set the new tub in place so it all fits together properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks