replacing old toilet - rough in problem

Users who are viewing this thread

bccooper

Reaction score
Hello - I am replacing an existing American Standard toilet. The roughin from the mounting bolts to the wall is 12" but there is a baseboard heating unit attached to the wall behind the toilet. The baseboard heat unit is 8" high (from the floor). Measurement from the mounting bolts to front of the baseboard heater is 8".
I've checked the specs and drawings on line for a number of toilets, both 12 & 10" rough1n, and the back of
the bowels all bulge back too far and would hit the baseboard heater. Any suggestions for a toilet that would fit?
Thanks -- Cooper

Reaction score
There's a webpage here made just for your issue.

https://terrylove.com/wc/unifit.htm

unifit_1.jpg
874cut.jpg
flange_03.jpg
unifit_choice.jpg

Reaction score
Why can't the heater be replaced?

A heater under the toilet is rather unusual. That area is usually very icky, and we're heating up that ickyness into the air.

Modern convection heaters are more efficient than old school baseboards, and are very thin, some as thin as picture frames on a wall.
Jazz.gif
electrical_heaters_for_bathroom_and_hand_dryer_corelia_fan_convection_towel_dryer.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Using a Toto, or any toilet, made for a 10" rough-in and having a 12" one will move the toilet out 2". If you don't mind that extra gap behind the toilet and the smaller selection of 10" rough-in toilets (sometimes, they end up costing more because they are sort of a specialty item), that might solve the problem. Personally, I'd consider changing out that convector, or moving it and keep a 'standard' toilet. You have lots more choices with a 12" rough-in. Heating the toilet and the water up may actually feel more comfortable, but it can have an effect on the rubber components. In a severe situation, it could make the wax ring soft, but it probably wouldn't be catastrophic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks