Replacing a main shut-off

Users who are viewing this thread

OneStaple

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is what I have:
basement of house-->main shut off (gate valve?)-->water meter-->pressure reducing valve-->second main shut off (gate valve?...identical to first)-->rest of house

Both shut off valves do not close completely, which makes plumbing a real pain. They've probably been there for about 35 years. I am trying to replace the second one (after the water meter) with a 1/4-turn ball valve. What are my options for shutting the water off? Anything I can do with the first gate valve to make it close completely (or at least 99.9%)? Or do I need to shut the water off in the street? I've never had to do that, but I'm assuming that the water company would have to be involved. Or can I sneak out there at night? Haha.

On the first valve, I notice that it allows the lowest water flow before it is completely tightened down. The minimum is just before it bottoms out, but bottoming it out actually increases the flow rate slightly. At this minimum point, I get a flow rate of 1 gallon per half hour (based on watching the water meter).

Prior to me moving into the house 5 years ago, the previous pressure reducing valve was bad and the house pressure was about 150psi. I'm sure that could have worn the valves out faster.

Thanks,
Tyler

First picture shows the water meter, pressure reducing valve, and the shut-off valve that I'm trying to replace. The first shut-off valve, shown in the second picture, is below the water meter.

Attachments

• IMG_20140615_140144.jpg
    IMG_20140615_140144.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20140615_140359.jpg
    IMG_20140615_140359.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 388

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Shut off before the meter, and then crack one of the nuts to the meter with a pail under it. This will drain down the incoming cold to the shutoff.

pederson_shutoff_2.jpg

To solder the lower portion, the nut on the water meter was loosened, allowing water to drain down, and a place for heated air to go.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What Terry says will enable you to quickly replace the top valve. To replace the bottom valve you will need to shut the water in the street. In my city, the department of water does that upon request.

OneStaple

Reaction score
Shut off before the meter, and then crack one of the nuts to the meter with a pail under it. This will drain down the incoming cold to the shutoff.

Ah ha! Great idea. I was hoping that it would be something relatively easy. I didn't even consider messing with the water meter. Thanks a ton!

The bottom valve is a fight for another day. For now, I just want to have at least one fully functioning shut-off.

Thanks!
Tyler

OneStaple

Reaction score
Success! Although the water was coming out much faster than expected. I spent about half of the time dumping out water and half actually working. I had a 2 gallon bucket under the water meter that I was pouring into a couple 5 gallon buckets, and then I'd run outside and dump them when things started getting full. You can see the flow coming out in the attached picture.

I'm also attaching a picture of the old valve. Looks like a gate valve with a huge blob of rubber to seal off water. That rubber has definitely seen better days.

New upper valve is in and working with no visible leaks! Just how I like it.

Thanks a bunch!
Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_20140615_155828.jpg
    IMG_20140615_155828.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20140615_161932.jpg
    IMG_20140615_161932.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 390
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks