Replacement tub shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ryantucker

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not a master or even an amateur plumber, but I'd like it if my shower temp didn't change when someone flushes the toilet in my new house. I want to go with a pressure balance valve. I looked at some diy videos and some were as easy as sliding the old valve out and the new one in while others required sawing pipes and soldering. Can anyone tell me if the setup I have in this picture would require more than just swapping one out for the other?

Thanks

20180531_185845.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is an old Moen valve with a galvanized pipe nipple down to the tub spout. Most likely unless you can open things up more than that, you will be soldering.
An expansion tank on the cold water side helps with pressure fluctuations. Or you can replace with a pressure balanced valve.
I find it easier to solder the new one in. Going with threads adds more places to leak, and for the tub spout, you will want copper. Reducing the tub spout with other pipe and connections forces water up to the shower head, as is covered in their instructions.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/moen-tl2368ep-shower-remodel-trim.61164/

gibson-03.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks