Replace old Kohler San Raphael / Rialto

Users who are viewing this thread

mcohen

Reaction score
I have one of the original San Raphael's (it may have been called a Rialto). It never drained well, and now it does not drain at all. There are no blockages anywhere in the trap or drain. It is very finicky and a pain to work with. Previously, I put in a new flapper/stand pipe assembly. It is also a pain b/c there are three little tabs at the end of three long screws that you use to hold it in place. The problem is that the tabs need something to clamp against and there is very little surface area to do so. In the course of my trying to get it fixed, I have dislodged it and the gasket under the flapper leaks. It looks like I could do a rebuild of most or all of the internals, but I think I will still have the same problem described above. I am feeling ready to replace it. The problem is that the previous owner went with this model b/c they extended the counter with drawers below it to be 5" above to top of the toilet. The point is that I need to find a <21" high toilet or I run the risk of redoing my entire bathroom.

I've looked at the current San Raphaels. They do not get the greatest reviews and they cost at least $750. Can anyone suggest any alternatives for "height challenged toilets"? I do not see much out there.

kohler-rialto.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Toto Eco Supreme @ 23-11/16 inches tall?
https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms864114e.pdf

Also, if you remove a drawer, can you get access to work on the toilet insides without pulling the toilet out?

Last edited by a moderator:

mcohen

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not seen that model previously.

With the current toilet (20.5" tall), I can barely side my head above the tank to see what I'm doing. Unfortunately, the drawers are framed into a cabinet. I can remove them, but the cabinet they sit in is still there. That is, I would have to remove the cabinet/frame if I want to have access to anything much taller than what I currently have.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you maybe cut away the bottom of the cabinet (leave it open with the bottom of the drawer what you would see if you looked from below), or make the bottom removable some way?

If the cabinet hangs from the wall, maybe you could detach the cabinet, and hang the cabinet from a French cleat.

mcohen

Reaction score
I think either of your suggestions would work. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks