New Position For Old Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Neshco

Reaction score
Hi everyone again,
I need to please anyone willing to give me advise regarding one potential issue.
I have already asked for advise here and get professional help and advises few years ago regarding adjusting my Fleck 5600SXT device which worked flawlessly until recently, when authorities decided to install centralised system for softening and filtering water, and my good old Fleck get retired.
Because of that I decided to move device from Norway where I live to Serbia where I am originate from, because there is exactly same situation with the hardness like it is here in Norway.

Here in Norway I had WH 20 gpg and you guys advised me to compensate to 22.
There in Serbia WH is 21 gpg compensated to 23.

I have to ask you about few things if there is someone generous and willing to give advise.

1. Before transport from Norway to Serbia device was off for 3-4 months just "bypassed" and filled tank with water (regeneration done), then when decided to move it to Serbia, I drained extra water because of the weight/transport (resin was wet), closed the tank and send it there. It took at least 3 weeks (transport, waiting for install etc) until tank is filled with water again and machine activated.
Does some of this steps could potentially damage somehow resin?
2. If does damage resin somehow, should I compensate some value in it or replace the resin completely?
3. We changed only the hardness value from Norwegian 22 (20+2 for compensation) to 23 (originaly 21+2 for compensation = 23), is this ok or...?
4. Is there anything else you recommend to change or this is ok?
I dont know if there is some iron in water supply (which is municipality one), and how to see if there is any? Any sign of its presence to pay attention to and any test to test it like it is Hach for hardness to check?
5. Salt is tableted one.
6. After regeneration, everything sims fine with the softener water except hardness was not set to 0 but to 2 measured on the cold line. Guess it is because of the deposit of the calcium/magnesium in the system? I found thread here where someone had exactly same problem which was solved by itself after a while?

Here I asked for help.
And here I also pleased you for help after installation.

Settings are:
DF = Gal ;
VT = dF1b ;
CT = Fd ;
NT = 1 ;
C = 64 ;
H = 23 ; (was 20+2=22)
RS = rc ;
RC = 300 ;
DO = 14 ;
RT = 3:00 ;
BW = 5 ;
Bd = 60 ;
RR = 5 ;
BF = 9 ;
FM = p0.7 ;

Thank you all in advance for any answer on any question!

Reach4

Reaction score
1,2. I am not sure. For sure, fill slowly. Let the resin sit in water for a good while before backwashing. You are unlikely to have iron from a municipal source.

6. That 2 is in grains? Is it for the cold water rather than hot?

4. C=64 is unlikely to be correct. What is your tank size, 12x52 inches maybe? If that size, containing 2 cubic ft of resin, then use C=44.

Neshco

Reaction score
1,2. I am not sure. For sure, fill slowly. Let the resin sit in water for a good while before backwashing. You are unlikely to have iron from a municipal source.

6. That 2 is in grains? Is it for the cold water rather than hot?

4. C=64 is unlikely to be correct. What is your tank size, 12x52 inches maybe? If that size, containing 2 cubic ft of resin, then use C=44.
1,2. Well, not sure if we done it correctly then. Its filled with water and regenerated within few hours and now is in production. :confused:

6. Yes it is in grains (gpg), I kept settings like that for easier following you guys and left it like there until today.
Hardness is measured with Hach`s kit.

4. This is exact place and device I bought from. I think that right numbers are 12x48 inch, it was 30cm x 120cm and that match 12x48 inch. It is 64k device.
So, to switch C setting to 44k or...?

Neshco

Reaction score
4. Thank you very much for clarifying this to me.
There is no doubt about resin volume, it is 2cuft, I have checked with the guy who sold me the device price for eventual resin replacement and there is for sure 2cuft of resin.
Also, found sticker on the tank and it is for sure 12x48 inch.
363761571_850301576837813_5981921021090437472_n.jpg

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wasting your time on me.
C is going down to 44k.

Is there anything else I can do about this installation and settings?

I will inform you here after some time of use.
Thank you for help!

Bannerman

Reaction score
found sticker on the tank and it is for sure 12x48 inch.
To provide the necessary Freeboard space for 3xpanding and reclassifying the resi, the appropriate tank size for 2ft3 resin + gravel under bedding is 12" X 52". I suspect your tank will therefore contain 1.75 ft3 (56,000 total grains hardness removal capacity).

To improve efficiency, the recommended usable Capacity setting would be 42,000 grains as that would require only 14 lbs salt each regen cycle. Efficiency: 42,000 / 14 = 3,000 grains per lb.

Neshco

Reaction score
To provide the necessary Freeboard space for 3xpanding and reclassifying the resi, the appropriate tank size for 2ft3 resin + gravel under bedding is 12" X 52". I suspect your tank will therefore contain 1.75 ft3 (56,000 total grains hardness removal capacity).

To improve efficiency, the recommended usable Capacity setting would be 42,000 grains as that would require only 14 lbs salt each regen cycle. Efficiency: 42,000 / 14 = 3,000 grains per lb.
Thank you for pointing that up.
I have talked with the seller recently about eventual replacement of the resin and he confirmed that there is no gravel in the tank, only resin. He also told me that there is 2ft3 of the resin and in case of replacement I would need 2ft3 of it.

Neshco

Reaction score
Just checked with the lamp height of the resin in the tank. It is 63cm from the floor to the top of the resin, which is approximately 25 inch.
Calculation say that it is 1,5 ft3. Hmm.
Do I need to change some settings accordingly?

Reach4

Reaction score
I got 1.62 cuft by considering the tank a cylinder. But it is not... rounded bottom. So I think your 1.5 cuft number will be very close.

I can post numbers for that. But first, how about you check for the color of the injector, or do you know what number that injector is??? maybe #1?
#0 Injector - Red
#1 Injector - White
#2 Injector - Blue

Neshco

Reaction score
Does this help?
Or to check somehow directly on device?

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_151134.jpg
    IMG_20200420_151134.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 63

Reach4

Reaction score
It helps in knowing what you have. I would have gone with #0 or #1. I expect your brine to all be sucked out in about 9.2 minutes, which is a little shorter time than what you would want. With #0 I would have lengthened BD a bit. With the white you could go with BD=37, but it is common to not go less than 60. I am not sure what I would do. I will show 60.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Compensated hardness = 22 ; including any compensation
People = 4 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 240 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 6.82 ; Computed days including reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/, Single Backwash, black cam
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 22 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 240 ; Reserve capacity gallons (ADJUST RESERVE GALLONS)
DO = 30 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = P0.7 ; https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Hold it. I see you had P0.7 in your earlier programming. That would not have changed. And your photo even shows the paddlewheel.

terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-5600sxt-programming-help.55694/
For FM, t0.7= turbine, P0.7= paddle wheel

Neshco

Reaction score
Got it!
Ill get back with the results as soon as circle of regeneration is closed.
Thank you!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks