Replace my Slant Fin boiler now that parts are not readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

kuennenst

Reaction score
My HVAC technician suggested that I replace my Slant Fin boiler (20 years old) now that the company was bought out and parts are not as readily available. Should I replace the boiler now during the summer rather than taking the risk of the boiler going down in the middle of next winter? Or should I purchase a control board and some other parts and wait for the boiler to fail?

We live in a small town where it would take a few weeks to replace our boiler. If the boiler failed and we just needed parts, we could have them available for the repairman. But if no parts were available, having to replace the boiler in the middle of the winter would require us to find a repairman, get the parts, etc while trying to keep the house from freezing and/or finding another place to live for a few weeks.

Last edited:

kuennenst

Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't replace a boiler until it leaked. Even if the controls had to change the parts should be available. They are very simple things it doesn't matter much what parts are used.

kuennenst

Reaction score
I wouldn't replace a boiler until it leaked. Even if the controls had to change the parts should be available. They are very simple things it doesn't matter much what parts are used.
Multiple HVAC techs have said that the parts will not be available in the future since Slant Fin was bought out a couple of years ago.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Multiple HVAC techs have said that the parts will not be available in the future since Slant Fin was bought out a couple of years ago.
What parts? A slant fin control board might not be available, but one that will work definitely will be available. We replace parts on old boilers with non original parts all of the time. By all means if you want to buy another boiler or buy parts go ahead.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Parts for them are mostly generic. If you have the install/ maintenance manual and they have some parts listed would imagine that all the part numbers have changed. Only parts that might not be available are burner drawer, coil and cast refractory that probably wouldn't get replaced just for the cost vrs new boiler.

heycg

Reaction score
What parts? A slant fin control board might not be available, but one that will work definitely will be available. We replace parts on old boilers with non original parts all of the time. By all means if you want to buy another boiler or buy parts go ahead.
Slant fin bobcat boiler model
B-120A control board part number is 842610000.
Discontinued.
Replacement part number is
Discontinued
Now what?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Slant fin bobcat boiler model
B-120A control board part number is 842610000.
Discontinued.
Replacement part number is
Discontinued
Now what?
You need to call slant fin. There should be an alternative to the exact part you need.

Mark A. Tabor

Reaction score
Given your situation, especially living in a small town with limited access to quick repair services, it might be prudent to replace the boiler now((( I recommend consulting with professionals here: https://patch.com/florida/miami/5-best-ac-repair-miami-locals-trust. They can provide you insights into the latest boilers suitable for your home.

Hope this helps in making an informed decision!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks