Repairing thread damage in pool valve connector

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Gendron

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am having some difficulty replacing some pool plumbing. I need to run a new 1-1/2" schedule 40 PVC connection between the pump outlet and the selector valve. Unfortunately, a previous technician installed a schedule 80 pipe nipple into the inlet side of the selector valve. Either the pipe nipple was overtightened, or it was installed with a hardening cement. Or both.

I tried to cut out the pipe nipple, but it isn't going to budge. Even where I have broken away pieces of the pipe nipple, its threads have been left behind.

I am looking for suggestions on how I might approach this repair, without having to spend hundreds of dollars to replace the selector valve! One possibility that comes to mind is to use an appropriately-sized hole saw to remove the remainder of the pipe nipple and the damaged threads, and then cement in a street fitting with female threads, or a straight piece of 1-1/2 PVC with a union attached, or some variant thereof.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Thanks,
-Mark

broken_pipe.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I don't think over tightening the fitting is the problem. If it were just tight, cutting through the fitting with a hacksaw blade would have relieved the pressure (tightness) and the pieces would have come out. It looks like it was glued in!
I think your better off just replacing the selector valve (you may be able to buy just the body) rather than spend hours and $ trying to cut out and glue/fit something in its place.

A selector valve shouldn't cost that much (what brand/model is yours). I use Pentair and Jandy valves.
Is this a multiport (filter) valve or a three-way port or something else? http://www.poolcenter.com/c/poolValves

Mark Gendron

Reaction score
Mike, it's a Hayward 710x multiport valve. Replacement bodies run $90-$120, which puts me on the fence regarding a replacement vs trying to fix what I have.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Yeah, a hundred bucks ain't nothing to sneeze at. Good luck.
http://www.poolzoom.com/hayward-vari-flo-valve-sp-710x-sp-712-sp-711-13-sp-711-20-parts.html

If you can cut slots in the old material, just shy of cutting into the threads of the valve, then peel out the old stuff, you have a chance. Trying to drill it out so you can glue something in, will be tough. You might be able to get a 1-1/2" hole saw, then make a wooden plug to fill the opening so you can center the hole saw on the center of the plug and drill it out..