Repair/Replace old overflow plate in tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

rkporsley

Reaction score
This house was built in the 1950s, but the plate has been as pictured since I moved in, so I'm not sure when it was added. As far as I can tell, it's hard to find square overflow plates, so I assume it's old.

I'm not sure how to remove this or find a cover. It's caulked and there just a bolt sticking out. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this?

bath.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to remove the caulking first. From around the plate and around the bolt. If you use a utility knife, a putty knife or a chisel, don't scratch the tub.
Then remove the bolt.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
It looks to be on upside down. There's very likely a round hole underneath which could be covered with a standard overflow but you don't really know until you get that mess off. My guess would be that the bolt holding it on stripped out and they went way off the grid with that repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks