Removing a locknut from a kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ncage1974

Reaction score
I'm trying to change our kitchen faucet. Underneath the kitchen sink there is only about 4-5 inches between the back of the sink and the back wall. The faucet has a single mounting hole. I've tried for over an hour to try to remove the brass locknut without success with a pair of channel lock pliers. There isn't enough of room to swing any tool (if that makes sense). I've found special lock nut wrenches but i don't think they would help me because of the limited room i have. Is there anything i can get that would make my job a lot easier?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Go to the Web site of your favorite big box store (orange or blue) and search for "basin wrench"; most of these are stocked locally.

basin-wrench-ridgid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ncage1974

Reaction score
Go to the Web site of your favorite big box store (orange or blue) and search for "basin wrench"; most of these are stocked locally.
thanks for the reply. I do have a basin wrench but the locknut is really large. I can't give you the exact size of course but do basin wrenches work well for "large" locknuts?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A basin wrench can be a pain. You might be able to cut through it with a dremel tool. If you try that be sure to put on goggles and maybe a face shield.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some k faucets come with a throw-away plastic tool that helps install the nut in tight spots. Most of the major brands are generous with their help, and would likely send you one for the asking.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you try turning the whole faucet counter clockwise a bit from the top? Sometimes that loosens the nut enough to take it off with your hand.

Maybe a long drill bit and drill through the nut if you you get really stuck.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
faucet-nut-drilled-2.jpg

I did not have the plastic tool that came with this faucet, so using a drill, I was able to cut the nut off the threaded shaft. Once the nut was cut, and was able to drop it off the threads. Sometimes that is quicker than ordering the tool, and easier than a saw blade.
Eye protection needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks