Remodeling from 3 Handle to 2 Handle Shower Valve

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SAS, Jul 11, 2019.

1. SAS

SAS Member

I have two problems with my current 3 handle shower and tub valve. One is rust from the tub spout when it hasn't been used for a bit and the other is that the temperature can fluctuate if water is used at another fixture. I found a kit from Moen at Home Depot which seems to have all the parts I need.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Ch...VClMNCh3_eQrWEAkYASABEgJe9vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm going to try to do this myself, but I am concerned about two issues. 1) I'd rather not have to solder fittings in the wall, and 2) I would rather not have to cut the tile. Can I use Sharkbite fittings to avoid the solder? And since I have access from the back, is there any reason that I need to cut the tile?

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Don't you mean converting to a single handle faucet that is pressure balanced?

You can't use a sharkbite on the tub spout fittings. Doing so forces water to the shower head when filling the tub. Also the tub spout spins which kind of sucks when you want to pull up on the diverter to take a shower.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. SAS

SAS Member

Yes, I meant single handle; I don’t know why I wrote 2 handle.
    With regard to the Sharkbite fitting, they make a drop eared 90 degree fitting that would be screwed to a board, so it wouldn’t spin. It has female threads. I couldn’t use another Sharkbite to connect to the copper stub for the spout. Are there any non-soldered solutions for the tub spout stub?

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Any restriction to the tub spout forces water up to the shower head. Once you're tiled in, there is no fix for that.

From Moen
    Tub/Shower Position the valve body 32 inches from the floor of the tub basin. The shower arm should be placed 78 inches above the floor of the tub basin (recommended installation of the shower arm is with a flanged elbow fitting – not included – and attached to a wood brace). The tub spout is to be no less than 6 inches and no greater than 11 inches below the valve. If installing a threaded tub spout, connect to the valve with 1/2 inch pipe or 1/2 inch copper tubing with a threaded adapter. If installing a slip-fit tub spout, connect to the valve with only copper tubing – no threaded adapter is needed. See step 7 for tub spout tube length.