Remodeling a bathroom with proper venting

Users who are viewing this thread

mrrauch

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom in NYC (NYC Plumbing Code, 2014 - ie IPC 2009 with amendments). The current layout has a horizontal section as the main vent line for the soil stack - see existing diagram for reference.

We are adding a washer/dryer, and shifting all plumbing to the about 2' or so to the left. Does my proposed diagram look correct?

Thanks in advance! Matt

Attachments

• Existing Riser.JPG
    Existing Riser.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Proposed Riser.JPG
    Proposed Riser.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 228

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sequence looks okay depending on the fittings. \
Trap arms that come off a vertical are santees.
The tub trap arm can rise after the vent. It can only grade upward at a 2% slope, or 1/4" per foot.

The dashed line below everything, I hope that's not a vent line for a downstairs.

dwv_b2.jpg

mrrauch

Reaction score
Hi Terry, thanks so much for the feedback. Yes, unfortunately the horizontal dashed line is an existing 4" cast iron vent line for everything downstairs...would you recommend trying to get a vertical one in at the top of the soil stack? We have the walls open so now would be the time to do it, although i gotta say it would be a bit of a pain...

Photo below for reference.

Attachments

• Existing conditions.JPG
    Existing conditions.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 238

mrrauch

Reaction score
Yes, this is my home, built in 1925. I believe the vertical 4" cast iron vent is original, but can't tell if someone previously cut into and shifted the soil stack so there was a horizontal offset between the main waste line and the main vent. Slightly larger photo below for reference - I highlighted the 4"venting portion of the system with a blue dotted line

Attachments

• PHOTO.JPG
    PHOTO.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 226

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To me it looks like the waste drops down in the far right corner, picks up the toilet, then the lav and last the tub.
The tub and lav look to be vented and revented at 42" above the floor and then go up.
The lone 4" may be a vent for downstairs.

mrrauch

Reaction score
Got it. That makes sense Terry. If I understand correctly, the 4" horizontal and vertical portions "past" the wye where the fixtures on this floor tie in is not really doing anything for the fixtures on this floor, but helping the drainage for the next floor down.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, and the lav run in 2" could wet vent the toilet and the tub. You could clean that up a bit and get rid of the flat venting on the tub.

mrrauch

Reaction score
Perfect - thank you again for the help and feedback. I'll discuss with the plumber.

Hope you're staying safe and sound out there in these crazy weeks. All the best, Matt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks