Recirculation Pump for Tankless Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Chainplate

Reaction score
We did a major remodel about 15 years ago and the contractor installed a tankless water heater with a dedicated return line for a recirculation pump. The pump he installed was a Laing UCT-909 which is now 'obsolete' and I can't find it anywhere. My question is this: Since I have a bathroom on the second story, do I need to select a replacement pump that has a 'head' of about 12 feet? The pump is installed in the crawl space under the floor of the ground floor.

Also, pump prices are all over the place. Is it possible to get a reliable product for $100? Unfortunately, I'm not a plumber nor can I afford one so I'll have to make this repair myself. Thanks for the help.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Broadly speaking, because it is a closed loop hot water system, head should not be a factor.
Crap shoot on Chinese pumps.
I understand your dilemma, Grundfos, Taco and all good mfrs pump prices seem outrageous.
Save up and consider upgrading to a Navien NPE A series with built in pump, and smart systems options for remote triggering of the pump.
Built in aquastat too.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the pump?

I had a Taco pump built into a unit that had gone bad.. supplier told me it was discontinued. But I found a similar taco pump and just wired it the same as the OEM model and worked fine. Might be able to find one on Ebay and swap it.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looked up your model.. never seen that one installed so following info is probably not going to work.

Near $300 and if its a similar model that threads onto the same housing, then you don't have to swap the body.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A circulator for potable water needs to be made out of non-ferrous metals, typically stainless steel, brass, or bronze, and those are much more expensive than a circulator used for hydronic heating purposes. Using a hydronic heating pump will cause it to quickly eat itself up.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's not how a circulator works. The height isn't an issue and isn't used to figure the head. A ferris wheel doesn't lift anything and neither does a circulator. All of the water that goes up also comes back down.

Head calculation is based on linear feet of pipe. The pump must only over come the fiction inside of the pipe at speed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks