Rachio flow meter installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
I'm debating installing a Rachio flow meter. Instructions below.

https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us...Rachio-Wireless-Flow-Meter-Quick-Start-Guide-

Identify the size (1 inch or 3/4 inch) of the pipe between your backflow preventer and valve box. To find your pipe size, look for information printed or stamped on the pipe's exterior, or measure the pipe's diameter.

My irrigation pipe before all the valves is 1 1/4". Would downsizing to 1" to install the loop for the flow meter cause issues with my irrigation? Reduce flow and / or reduce pressure?

Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Depends on the size and water source. 1" will allow less water to flow and irrigation systems usually have a lot of turns that added to the back pressure. Not sure why 3/4" or 1" is recommended. It could be the flow meter is not accurate with a water flow rate over it's design. A good chance that your water source is 3/4" or 1" if it is city water. A well could be anything.

I think the instruction reads from the backflow preventer to the control valves that only that section needs to be 1" max. After the valve manifold or control box anything goes. The 1" feed will lower the volume and pressure some feeding a 1 1/4" system but if it is a small yard, you'll not notice any difference.

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
My bill says the meter size is 5/8" and irrigation is 1 1/4" PVC to the 7 sprinkler valves. I'm guessing the flow meter is physically only 1" in diameter which is why 1" is the top end. My main concern is the backyard as it uses 8 Rainbird rotors for the grass and these need pressure to spray the 25'.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
My bill says the meter size is 5/8" and irrigation is 1 1/4" PVC to the 7 sprinkler valves......it uses 8 Rainbird rotors for the grass and these need pressure to spray the 25'.

A 5/8" feed will not allow less water to flow to a 1" or a 1-1/4". The 5/8" can only flow so much water since it is smaller than everything else. Adding short section of 1" pipe before the irrigation valves that are feed now by a 3/4" pipe (see below) won't make a change.

Question I have is why is a Rachio flow meter needed? Is it a local requirement in water short areas of California?

google search "is a water meter 5/8 same as 3/4 inch"
(A 5/8" x 3/4" water meter has a 5/8" water flow capacity just like a 5/8" meter. The bore of the meter is generally 5/8". a 5/8" x 3/4" meter has 3/4" AWWA Meter Threads and typically hooks up to a 3/4" water service line or larger.)

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
No, just my own curiosity and data collection. I have the Rachio 3 sprinkler controller and the wireless meter is something they offered and is still available. It will use it to know how much water flowed to that area during waterings.

Thanks for the info!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks