Quick vent question (near main stack)

Users who are viewing this thread

EthylOH

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm adding a new sink right next to my toilet, which is right above the main stack.

Do I need to add a vent for the sink? The waste line will only be 5 feet long from the stack, and about 3 feet vertical (2" drain pipe).

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 487
Reaction score
A picture of the ceiling from underneath will be nice.

I wouldn't touch the main stack at all, rubber couplings are not fun to sandwich between verticals.

Cut off whatever is after the toilet, and re-do the toilet as you do the new lav. The new lav is very close to the main stack, it'll get plenty of vent.

I guess this will be an illegal DIY in MA without a permit?

EthylOH

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion...

I've added some details below:

I'm not cutting into the main stack. I'll be using a rubber donut at the flange to transition from CI to PVC.

If I need to add a vent, it will be up through the wall behind the sink. I'll then tie into the shower and tub aux vent in the attic (it's on the other side of the bathroom).

I was just curious if I needed to vent the sink at all because the drain is so close to the main stack.

Attachments

• sinkdrain.jpg
    sinkdrain.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 402
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 388
  • auxvent.jpg
    auxvent.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 412

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "main stack" is a DRAIN, not a vent, so it CANNOT be used for venting. In addition, the way you have it drawn the sink will have an "S" trap if you do not vent it.

EthylOH

Reaction score
The "main stack" is a DRAIN, not a vent, so it CANNOT be used for venting. In addition, the way you have it drawn the sink will have an "S" trap if you do not vent it.

This is what I plan to do. Does it look okay? (I didn't draw in the shower and tub traps etc under the floor)

Attachments

• sinkvent.jpg
    sinkvent.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 410
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks