Questions about Hansgrohe iBox rough-in

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by neil.steiner, Feb 25, 2021.

1. neil.steiner

neil.steiner Member

I've been looking at a Hansgrohe rough-in plus trim for a shower/tub remodel, but I'm very unclear on the iBox connections.

[​IMG]

Firstly, the iBox specifications describe the connections as "thread Rp ¾" with "dimension DN20." That sounds pretty foreign to me, although based on Terry's and others' comments on the Hansgrohe iBox universal thread, it sounds like this is compatible with standard copper 3/4" adapters. Is that correct?

Secondly, Hansgrohe forbids soldering within 4" of the rough-in, and the final connection is a 3/4" male fitting screwed into a 3/4" female receptacle. Is this kind of unsoldered connection even legal inside a wall? Would any of you put that kind of connection inside your homes?

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You prefab up the 3/4" male adapters to copper and using pipe dope, tape or both, thread them on to the body. It's done all the time, yes we do that for our own homes.
    Heck, in the olden days, all pipes were threaded.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement