Question on what to do now that toilet flange is exposed

Users who are viewing this thread

madlinux

Reaction score
Hello,

I have replaced the sub-floor below my toilet which was water damaged by the toilet leaking from the wax ring.

As you can see here I have replaced the section around the toilet:

DSCF0102 (Large)..jpg

Now that I look at this, I am left wondering if I should have removed the toilet flange and replaced it with a new one since the area is accessible now. Here is how the flange looks from floor level. I could take up the sub-floor that I just installed, if it makes sense to make a change now.

DSCF0100 (Large)..jpg

My thought for my next steps as of now is the following:

1. Add the Hardibacker to the top of the sub-floor. Snug the underlayment under the existing flange and seal with adhesive. (the flange is solid right now).
2. Clean the top of the flange real well.
3. Lay tile.
4. Install new wax ring or maybe wax-less ring???
5. Install new toilet.

Please feel free to comment on my process, and let me know if it looks/makes sense.

Regards,

Dan

Attachments

• DSCF0098 (Large)..jpg
    DSCF0098 (Large)..jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCF0099 (Large)..jpg
    DSCF0099 (Large)..jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 518
  • DSCF0101 (Large)..jpg
    DSCF0101 (Large)..jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 500

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange should be anchored to the subfloor and should be on top of the finished floor. So, it would be best if you removed that patch, removed the flange, install the new subfloor (IF you have enough length on that CI stub to install a new CI flange), install the new finished floor, then install either that, or a new CI flange (probably need a plumber to do the leaded joint). Or, while the subflooring is up, cut it off, replace with plastic using a no-hub connector to join the two materials, then new plastic from there. If you notch the tile before you lay it in the right place, you won't need to try to drill through it to anchor the new flange to the subflooring. You'll want to replace the shutoff before you're finished, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks