Question about the Symmons Temptrol Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

PhoenixPhyre

Reaction score
I had started another thread about the banging in the shower pipes when the diverter is turned and I just want to make sure that what this plumber stated is legit. The seller's hired a plumber to come out and inspect the banging and he wrote a letter that stated:

"Called because tub and shower were chattering. Unit was checked and found no evidence of malfunction when used properly. Valve diverter should be positioned in either tub or shower mode and not in the middle; this type of valve (Symmons Temptrol) can under certain conditions make a thumping sound when it is shut off, This is normal and only happens occasionally and does not effect operation."

If this is the case, I don't want to be unreasonable or do you think I should get a 2nd opinion anyway?

Thanks for your help :)

symmons-temptrol-hacks-07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does positioning the diverter in either the tub or shower position solve the problem? A diverter is not designed to be operated in the "between" position. It is a diverter; not a throttling valve. When it is in the "between" posiiton it restricts the flow and the energy from the pressure has to be dissipated. That will make noise.

When water is flowing and you shut it off quickly, the kinetic energy in the water moving in the pipes must be dissipated. That can make a noise, just as it does when you drop a rock on the floor. The energy is about the same as dropping a half gallon bucket of water from about 1 foot. You would expect that to make a noise.

If you want silence, then you need to find a way to dissipate the energy slowly and without causing the pipes to shake.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just for peace of mind, I would ask the plumber or home inspector to measure the house water pressure, if this has not been done already. High pressure can agravate a water hammer problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks